About Blood Charms

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
freid78
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

About Blood Charms

Postby freid78 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:59 am

From a nethermancer standpoint, are the current Blood Charms (p.416) example of Blood Charms or only what is ?

I'm asking because this section is, if I may speak so frankly, a big mess. It looks like they were made without real organization, on the spot, from an experimenting nethermancer. And since they were discovered, all the other nethermancers just copied those flawed/crude versions without trying to understand how blood magic worked and how it improves abilities.

Let us go through one example to show that something strange is going on. Astral-Sensitive Eye, Darksight Eye and Targeting Eye.

These 3 Blood Charms are working exactly the same way. You have a gem worm eating your eye for 2pts of Blood Magic, but allows you to see more clearly on certain situation while taking Strain doing so. Astral-Sensitve give's you a bonus of +1 for astral vision at 1pt of Strain, where the Targeting Eye gives you +2 for missile targetting at 1pt of Strain. Strangly enough, Darksight have no bonus, but no Strain attached either. Magically treated Amber allows you to see astraly, while Quartz is used for Targeting Eye and Living Crystal for Darksight. Oh, and for some reason, the Targeting Eye can stack multiple Strain for multiple +2 bonus.

Couple of questions here :
#1 Could we make a Heatsight Eye?
#2a Is the Strain powering up the charm?
#2b If so, why the powerup is not equivalent from one charm to the other?
#3 Could we make a Strain based Darksight Eye to allow a bonus of +2 using Low Light vision?
#4 Could we make a non-Strain based Astral-Sensitive Eye?
#5 Could we make a multi-Strain based Darksight Eye or Astral-Sensitive Eye for a stackable +2 bonus?
#6a Could we make any other type of "x" Eye?
#6b If so, will it improve "x" by +2 at a cost of 1 Strain?
#7 Is it the magical treatment that allows Amber to gain such propreties, or Amber itself?
#8 Is it the blood magic that allows Amber to gain such propreties, or Amber itself?
#9 Is it possible to magically treat Amber, link it to Blood Magic without destroying one's eye?

Of course, this would need some experimenting. From magically treating living crystal, quartz or amber, you get different result. So one would need other translucide materials to work with. I would start with Horn material, then try Alabaster, and finaly Gypsum. Perhaps Glass or Ceramic could work too. Damn, event Skin could do the trick. This of course limit the options. So I would also try, after that first round, to expand the properties of Amber or Living Crystal and find a way to improve other sight based abilities using the same materials.

#10 In other words, wouldn't be more efficient to make a subcategory of Blood Charms that have a standard ability ?
It would replace the eye permanently, at a cost of 2 Blood Magic, and for 1pt of Strain, you get a bonus of +2 in a specific eye based ability.

And this is just an example. It seems to me that other charms behave strangly compared to others. So any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Utsukushi

Re: About Blood Charms

Postby Utsukushi » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:18 pm

freid78

Postby freid78 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:42 pm

freid78

Postby freid78 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:18 pm

I've made a easier to lookup table to explain what could be made in designing new blood charms. Since copy/pasting wasn't good, i've put up a sheet into google doc.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =299999042

I hope this can be challenged by other nethers.

On a side note, there's no more maximum blood magic someone can wear? The departening stuff is out?

Slimcreeper

Postby Slimcreeper » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:03 pm

This is just about my favorite thing that I've read on this forum.

freid78

Postby freid78 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:06 am

hehe

I'll take it as a compliment :)

Edit: I've made couple of ajustment to the Blood Charm creation method, to make it easier to understand and use. It should be good now!

Utsukushi

Postby Utsukushi » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:37 pm

Return to “Product Discussion”