Obsidimen and sex

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
freid78
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Obsidimen and sex

Postby freid78 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:37 pm

Don't get any ideas here!

Simple question :

Can an obsidimen use talents/skills designed for sexual interaction, like Winning Smile, Flirting and Seduction ?

If yes, how "attractive" can an obsidimen be?

Mataxes
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Obsidimen and sex

Postby Mataxes » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:12 am

Why not?

It might be unusual, but it is totally possible. "Attraction" is a strange thing, and while a certain amount of biological drive ties into it, a not insignificant portion of attraction takes place in the mind.

We can see quite a few examples of different modes and approaches to attraction and sexuality in our own world. Obsidimen might have a unique perspective given they don't have the same biological underpinning as other Namegivers, but they have emotions and thoughts and empathy. The 'mechanics' of a sexual relationship involving an obsidiman might be... unconventional. But so what? There are lots of 'unconventional' relationships.
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

freid78

Postby freid78 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:23 am

Damn, I feel so narrow minded! There's even words for that like:

Necrophilia
Dendrophilia
or just Paraphilia in this case. I don't think there's a word for rock lovers.

Spader

Postby Spader » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:52 pm

While I agree an Obsidimen could use those said talent/skills, I feel the opposite very unlikely.
I hardly see how an obsidimen could be attracted toward someone else. Even toward another obsidimen. Yes, they could have feelings for others (like friendship and love) but nothing would get physical. Since an obsidimen is not sexual by design, it makes them worse than eunuch. Thers is no reason why they would have such thing like desires or libido.
Personnaly I see them as being totally unable to aroused.

Kasbak

Postby Kasbak » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:11 pm

Everyone's got to get their rocks off at some point. (I'm sorry, I HAD to on this one. And don't worry, my fiancee will have already hit me for it.)

But in all seriousness, I think it would depend on the individual Obsidimen as to whether or not they would want to use those Talents/skills. It's been shown in the lore that some Obsidimen have differing levels of curiosity for the culture of other Namegivers, some even wearing clothes or giving themselves a preferred gender identity. Why wouldn't matters of sexuality be included in that study of culture? Again, it wouldn't be for all of them, but certainly some would want to explore that aspect of life present for other Namegivers, even if the mechanics of actually performing the final act aren't really feasible.

As an aside, I did a quick Latin search to find a good base word for this kind of attraction, and I found a surprisingly fitting contender: Lapideophilia. Derived from the word Lapideus, which is Latin for 'made of stone' or 'stony', and may also in turn have been derived from the word Lepidus, meaning 'pleasant' or 'charming'. The etymology seems perfect for the idea of romancing the stone (okay, I'll stop now).

Spader

Postby Spader » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:47 pm

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:08 pm

While Obsidimen don't have a biological sex, I believe they do choose a Gender in order to make interacting with other Namegivers less awkward. I think that was in the Nations of Barsaive book.....

earthdawn66

Postby earthdawn66 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:19 pm

the term you were looking for is

Lithophilia arousal to stone or gravel

freid78

Postby freid78 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:09 pm

Slimcreeper

Postby Slimcreeper » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:20 am

If there are giant rock people, someone will think that is hot.

Return to “Product Discussion”