About Strength Booster

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
freid78
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

About Strength Booster

Postby freid78 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:23 am

Have a metaphysical question about this charm (p.418)

How can it upgrade strenght, but not damage test (from strenght)? If this is just a way to avoid player's abuse, restricting it like that seems artificial. But of course, you might have a metaphysical reason for it, so before I suggest anything, I have to know!

Thanks.

Baravakar
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: About Strength Booster

Postby Baravakar » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:00 pm

freid78

Postby freid78 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:24 am

To avoid this, Blood Charms should increase abilities and not attributes.

Slimcreeper

Postby Slimcreeper » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:34 am

So the strength booster shouldn't be written as a way to increase strength, but as a way to hulk up and perform an amazing feat of strength, like lifting a toppled cart off a trapped peddler, smashing a door, or bursting steel manacles. The character can't coordinate his or her actions as well, so the bonus won't help in any case where the feat requires a dexterity-based test to succeed, like throwing something heavy at a specific target or any kind of attack test.

Baravakar

Postby Baravakar » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:17 am

Has anyone in the games you play ever taken one?

Razan_GM

Postby Razan_GM » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:31 am

Theres always some obsidiman or troll with lots of strenght among my players, and they never got too much money so they never needed one so much to buy it.

freid78

Postby freid78 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:43 am

The strength booster is only 300. Your saying your player's have a hard time for 300 silvers?? Wow, your cheap :P

But I think Baravakar means to imply that the charm is so bad that no-one actually bought one. For my part, I think that charm is a flaw on itself and should not be made, nor possible to make. You want something from blood magic to enhance your strength, you'll need to replace a body part!

Well... not to link everything to this, but i've opened up that topic so that I could work on the blood charms and this is what I managed to do:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =299999042

Kasbak

Postby Kasbak » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:36 pm

I personally have never been a fan of using blood charms of any type. For one, they're not allowed when joining the Lightbearers, and the abilities from that are so insanely useful they far outmatch anything a blood charm could reasonably offer. Secondly, in many instances the boost they offer could also be achieved by pushing a Talent with blood magic; same trade off for the most part, but with the latter, you're not bound into it semi-permanently.

I have had only a few players use blood charms, and sooner or later every one of them has said that the benefit isn't worth the cost. I think there are a few instances where they can be useful as a story element or as a fix for a certain, specific problem (such as slaver collars or replacement limbs), but for general player use, I find they're just not worth it.

Razan_GM

Postby Razan_GM » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:13 am

Was there Str Booster charm in ed3? I cant remember it. I think there was a potion. My players many times was arm wrestling and pushing stuff, breaking doors but noone ever talked about such charm. Now someone definitely will want one, nothing like watching faces of orcs when you push aside Thundra Beast.

Baravakar

Postby Baravakar » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:22 pm

Return to “Product Discussion”