Total Legend and Legendary Status

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Sundahk
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Total Legend and Legendary Status

Postby Sundahk » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:04 pm

I noticed 4ed still has kept this line from 3ed about keeping track of a character's Total Legend Points:

"The character never reduces his Total Legend Points; they are mainly used to determine his Legendary Status—how notable his legend is as it develops, and how it affects others as a result"

The problem is TLP has no effect on Legendary Status since 3ed because it's based upon a character's Discipline Status (ie Novice, Journeyman, etc), and this seems unchanged in 4ed. So the above sentence probably needs to be altered...

OR

4ed could instead use a TLP based system for Legendary Status like 1ed did. The reason I would argue for this is because it is a better reflection of a character's renown.

Example: A Wizard and Swordmaster start adventuring together at 1st Circle. They're side by side through every heroic deed and eventually they've earned a little over 40,000 TLP each, but despite starting out together the Swordmaster is Circle 5 while his Wizard friend (due to the cost of buying spells, weaving threads to spell matrix items, etc) has only advanced to Circle 4. In 4ed this would mean that despite having been part of the same heroic stories, the Swordmaster is somehow more well known than the Wizard purely because he has a higher Discipline Status. In 1ed their renown would be the same because they have the same amount of TLP.

Unless I've completely misunderstood the whole Legendary Status thing, in which case feel free to tell me I'm wrong :)

Dale

Re: Total Legend and Legendary Status

Postby Dale » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:53 am

I still plan on having my players track the total and use that as legendary status. As players hit 4th-6th circles they do tend to spread out depending on how each has spent their LP. The TLP seems a great reflection of what they have done.
Dale

Mataxes
Site Admin

Re: Total Legend and Legendary Status

Postby Mataxes » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:17 pm

Thanks for bringing that to my attention, and I agree with your assessment.

The table is still keeping the four-tier breakdown as it now has, but rather than being broken up by status level, it's back to being based on total Legend.

Novice: Up to 10,000 Total Legend
Journeyman: 10,000 to 100,000 Total Legend
Warden: 100,000 to 1,000,000 Total Legend
Master: More than 1,000,000 Total Legend
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Return to “Product Discussion”