LP rewards (treasure, adventure example)

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Sangius
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: LP rewards (treasure, adventure example)

Postby Sangius » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:21 am

Good questions! They are quite relevant to my group too: We play once every two weeks, but often longer than 6 hours (including the occasional break, though). We run a village-sandbox setting (we're part of a community that is just establishing itself), which means a fair share of our playtime is spent talking and planning the future of the village, or chopping wood. Then again, to each group their own and our characters feature a much slower circle advancement than 'normal'. Anyway, leaving 'to each their own' aside, it would be interesting for me too how you'd handle such a scenario (and yes, talking can qualify as a roleplay challenge as well, but quite often we just sit in a circle and debate, nothing that could really qualify as 'challenge accomplished' - I guess in a way it makes sense to just accept that you'll get less LP per evening in some sandbox scenarios: if all you do is talk, roof a building and chop some wood, it would be unfair in a way if you'd get the indicated average LP - just as a group breaking into kaers or freeing slaves from mines would).

etherial
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby etherial » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:52 am

Roth

Postby Roth » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:13 pm

Razan_GM

Postby Razan_GM » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:18 pm

Thats easy, as a GM you know which events are major, who is hidding a secret/acts agaist characters, and you award PC for making this events possible/stopping them, discovering secrets/helping others/killing(stopping) bandits and so on.

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:35 pm

Things can get a little bit funky when you start talking about a sandbox-style game.

The purpose of the breakdown was really to highlight the use of the Legend Award system in a "traditional" adventure framework, especially in context of the original question.

Though, to be honest, the principles still hold in a sandbox game -- it's just that the awards may swing a bit more widely based on what happens in a given session.

As far as how long as "session" is? How long is a piece of string? How deep is a hole? There's quite a bit of flexibility that still fits the definition.

I tend to go with 4-hours as the default assumption, as that is how long a convention game session is traditionally blocked for, and my home games tend to run about 3-4 hours. If your sessions tend to be longer, or less frequent, I would say that higher Legend Awards (on average) are likely. Maybe instead of looking at your adventure frameworks in terms of sessions, you use "acts" or some other type of .

In my own games these days, I tend to just ballpark a total Legend Award for the session rather than break it down into its component parts.

I look at things like the Legend Award guidelines as a way to help with adventure planing and structure. Is there a goal? Are there conflicts and obstacles to overcome in pursuit of that goal? Is there some sort of reward? Experienced GMs may not need to get into the nuts and bolts quite so much, but even us old hands can use some reminding now and again.
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:09 pm

This was a good thread on Treasure worth Legend:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=219

While the breakdown was specific to a structured "adventure", it's been working fine for my sandbox style play. I have also called breaks and started new "Sessions" if a single one was running long.

Return to “Product Discussion”