[ED4] Matrices

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Spader
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

[ED4] Matrices

Postby Spader » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:24 pm

The way I understand it, a magician at 8th circle can only have a total of 4 matrices compared to 6 in the third edition.

Is it correct?

Mataxes
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: [ED4] Matrices

Postby Mataxes » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:40 pm

Yes. They would have 2 Standard and 2 Enhanced.
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Lorm_the_Unhappy

Postby Lorm_the_Unhappy » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:49 pm

I believe if you wanted more spell matrices you can pick up extra magician disciplines. While you do not get the free 1st circle spell matrix talents, my understanding is that you can use the talent options of the 2nd/3rd/4th magician disciplines to get extra matrices.

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:52 pm

That is one way.

Matrix items would be another.
Josh Harrison --

Dale

Postby Dale » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:07 pm

Casting raw magic and praying is the other method I find myself stuck with at times.
Dale

kosmit

Postby kosmit » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:42 am

Dale you made my day ;)

So in 4th ED there is no limit on how much matrices magician can have? If they obtained it through talent options or versatility?
Duvvelsheyss

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:15 am

There is a limit. There is one Standard Matrix available as a Novice talent option, and one Enhanced Matrix available as a Journeymen talent option.

If a magician picks up a second caster Discipline, they don't get the "free" matrix talents again, but they can pick up the talent option one from their new Discipline if they wish. I would say that a human learning matrices with Versatility would be limited to one of each type; so one Standard, one Enhanced, etc.
Josh Harrison --

kosmit

Postby kosmit » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:38 pm

What about caster with 3 disciplines? He can also get matrices as options so it increases by another 2 ;)

I think that versatility restriction to matrices should be somewhere in the book ;)
Duvvelsheyss

Kasbak

Postby Kasbak » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:55 pm

I personally wouldn't put any restrictions on picking up matrices through Versatility. There are far, far more useful Talents to be using Versatility on, especially since you can pick up additional matrices with Thread items. If a player really wants to spend their primary racial advantage just to have a few extra spells at hand, I won't stop them.

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:17 pm

Yeah, to be honest, that's one of those things that I think would be better decided by individual groups.

Versatility doesn't allow you to pick up anything indicated as a "Free" talent, but you can pick up options. Practically speaking then, you could pick up 4 Standard Matrices (one from each magician Discipline), and 4 Enhanced (again, one from each Discipline). If somebody really wants to spend Versatility slots (and the Legend Points that go along with it)... that's their choice, and I don't think it is [i]that[/] crazy.
Josh Harrison --

Return to “Product Discussion”