Thread Item - Blinding Stones

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
peterjk3
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Thread Item - Blinding Stones

Postby peterjk3 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:29 pm

I know you are working on updating many of the Thread Items from all the source books. Many of those items have a consumable item that can be refreshed with time, money or other currency. For example the Butterspider box from Parlainth Adventures pg. 25 can be used once a day. The potions of life from the ED1 Core book pg. 275 refills by throwing a coin over shoulder and proposing a toast to alchemist, or the Spike bombs on ED1 Core book pg. 276 can be reformed if used at higher thread rank. In the "Terror in the Skies" module pg. 84 for ED1 the players have a chance to get a Thread Item Called Blinding Stones, see below. So with the Blinding Stones it says the threads apply to all stones in the bag but each stone can only be used once. Can you replace stones in bag up to the maximum 3D6 it started with? Will this type of consumable item take a different form in ED4? The way its worded almost seems like a player could sink 1100 LP into an item that could conceivably only have 3 uses.

BLINDING STONES
Kaer, p. 48.
Maximum Threads: 1
Spell Defense: 9
A favorite defensive weapon of windlings, blinding
stones give off a sudden flash that blinds opponents when
the user speaks the key word and throws the stones to the
ground. The flash allows the windling to make a quick
attack or an even quicker escape. As the weapon earns
additional ranks, the flash becomes more intense.
A bag of blinding stones usually contains 3D6 stones,
each good for only one use. Each thread woven counts
toward all stones in the bag rather than to a particular
stone.

Thread Ranks
Rank 1 Cost: 100
Key Knowledge: The user must learn the name of the
wizard who made the stones.
Effect: When the user throws a stone, everyone within a
5-yard radius must make a Perception (8) Test. If a character's
test fails, the stone blinds him or her, reducing step
numbers for all tests by -3 steps for the next 3 rounds.
Any character who anticipates the flash adds +3 steps to
his or her Perception step to avoid the stone's effect.

Rank 2 Cost: 200
Effect: As above, within an &yard radius.

Rank 3 Cost: 300
Key Knowledge: The user must learn the name of the mage
who invented the stones and taught others to make them.
Effect: As above, at a 10-yard radius. The Difficulty of the
Perception Test to avoid the blinding effect is now 10.

Rank 4 Cost: 500
Key Knowledge: The user must learn the name of the
windling hero who first used the stones to delay a Horror
while the rest of his clan escaped.
Effect: As above, at a 15-yard radius.

Anunnaki

Re: Thread Item - Blinding Stones

Postby Anunnaki » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:08 pm

Hiya,

I can't speak to ED4 as I have no involvement with that product, but this item was revised in EDC (in the Earthdawn Adventure Compendium; New Magical Treasures chapter) to remove the "use it once and done" component. Most of the magical treasures in the published ED1 adventures were updated for the EDC Adventure Compendium, just as an aside.

Most, if not all, of the "consumable" items from ED1 were revised to clarify their replenishment in EDC, and that passed through to ED3. Hopefully, the same will apply to ED4 (no doubt it will).

Hope this helps!

Take kaer, James

Telarus_KSC

Re: Thread Item - Blinding Stones

Postby Telarus_KSC » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:04 pm

I remember that item. Classic had it as a daily re-charge, I think. I do remember that you changed it to an Initiative test, which I thought was great as it allows people with Initiative affecting Talents like Tiger Spring (or the new Danger Sense) a chance to react and cover their eyes.

Return to “Product Discussion”