Non-Backer Release?

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
AlmightySkrew
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Non-Backer Release?

Postby AlmightySkrew » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:42 pm

Hey peoples,

My rotating tabletop rpg gaming group recently tried a one-shot Earthdawn game, and I decided that I liked both the system and setting so much that I would start running it as part of our standard rotation of games. Unfortunately, this happened way after the KS for 4th edition, so we missed it.

Is there any estimation on when the 4E material will be released for standard purchase (preferably on Drivethrurpg, but we'd buy directly if it's more expedient)? I'm really liking the changes that I've seen so far and would like to get us converted ASAP.

Mataxes
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Non-Backer Release?

Postby Mataxes » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:08 am

The Player's Guide is waiting for final artwork, and the PDF will be released as soon after that as is possible (hopefully not more than a couple of days). It will be available through our web store. Availability on DTRPG will probably not be for a couple of weeks after that...? (I'm not sure specifically about the turnaround time there.)

The GM Guide is a little farther off, unfortunately.
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

H2Os

Postby H2Os » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:17 pm

Will there be a dead tree version?

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:24 pm

Yes. We'll be giving a few days after the PDF is released to try and catch any final typos or errors, then it will be sent off to the printer and go into the distribution channel.
Josh Harrison --

Athaeis

Postby Athaeis » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:17 pm

This will be the first dead-tree book for Earthdawn main rules I will have picked up since 1993. From all I've read, thus far, I am impressed with the changes that have been made, and I look forward to holding the Player's Guide, soon. Hopefully, though, it won't be more than around 350 pages?

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:46 pm

Well, the Player's Guide is 512 pages, so in that regard...
Josh Harrison --

Athaeis

Postby Athaeis » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:04 am

Holy CRAP!!!

Can ANY of this stuff go into other sources for down the road, please? 512 pages scares me, frankly. I've looked at the Classic PDF books I purchased from Redbrick, but I'll be damned if I'm reading them. If it's that much, I may not pick it up, after all. My put-together book shelves can't handle that much dead paper. Sheesh.

Lorm_the_Unhappy

Postby Lorm_the_Unhappy » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:43 am

earcaraxe

Postby earcaraxe » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:02 am

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:21 am

The page count is due in large part to the 6x9 format, and I can certainly understand the intimidation factor involved in a hefty tome.

That said, I just took a quick look through the book and I'm not sure what could be cut that would make much of a difference. Backers who have access to the pre-release may have a better eye for this (since I've been swimming in this book for over a year).

My quick thoughts on the "non-essential" sections, and the current page count:

To the Saddle Born - The traditional bit of short fiction. 14 pages.
Summoning - Could probably be cut, but it is a significant aspect of two Disciplines. 6 pages.
Passions - Setting information that should probably be part of the book. 20 pages.
Barsaive - Another setting chapter giving a big-picture overview. 9 pages.

At that point, you start looking at cutting individual rules or items, and we did a bunch of that already.
Josh Harrison --

Return to “Product Discussion”