Karma In the Fourth Edition

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Baravakar
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Karma In the Fourth Edition

Postby Baravakar » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:19 pm

I have been reading what I can on the fourth edition changes and I was wondering something with Karma and the new disciplines.
According to Panda's site Archers start with this ability - Karma: Perception tests which rely on sight.

Also, under the new edition adepts can spend karma on any talents received thru their discipline. For example, a windling receives Astral Sight talent thru a racial ability so the adept windling can not spend karma for it (unless they also receive the ability for their discipline)

So my question is this:
Can a windling archer spend karma on Astral Sight (a PER sight based ability) because of the first circle ability?
Last edited by Baravakar on Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Baravakar
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Karma In the Fourth Edition

Postby Baravakar » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:25 pm

Follow up question:
A wizard at third circle gains - Karma: Recall Information

Can a wizard use karma for knowledge skills, since they rely on recalling information?

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:38 am

In both cases the answer is yes.
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Baravakar

Postby Baravakar » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:23 pm

Thanks for the info.

It seems to me that the new rules, did increase the amount of Karma a character receives and also expanded what you can use that Karma on.

There is balance in that. Personally I like what I see so far.

earcaraxe

Postby earcaraxe » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:23 pm

i suggest trying it in play. It was a rather different perspective for us than reading about it.

Baravakar

Postby Baravakar » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:18 pm

We did last week. Things ran just fine.

The party made it about halfway to their destination and used 1-3 Karma each per encounter. The did not burn all of their Karma for the day. I reminded them of the option to use Karma when they could. Most of the time they chose not to use it in case something worse came along.

Starting the next day, they asked about performing their rituals and I reminded them that it would reset the total. Again, they chose not to do the rituals yet, since it can only be done once per day.

The reached the ruins they were looking for and started to go in. We called the mission for time restraints. I had everyone mark down the damage they took and their remaining Karma.

We will see how it goes next time we play.

enigmafyv

Postby enigmafyv » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:24 pm

Keep us posted on the outcome Baravakar. I'm (and likely others are) intersted in the results.

Baravakar

Postby Baravakar » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:20 pm

I would be happy to. Our next game is this Sunday at the Crack of Noon.

Baravakar

Postby Baravakar » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:22 am

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:09 pm

Very interesting, thanks for the play report. :)

I'd say you could go ahead and start using the +5/Success Level mechanic. In order to translate that to the old "Success Level Names" used in previous edition, here's a new chart.

Pathetic: Target -10
Poor: Target +5
Average: Target Number
Good: Target +5
Excellent: Target +10
Extraordinary: Target +15

Return to “Product Discussion”