number of daily karma points

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
earcaraxe
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

number of daily karma points

Postby earcaraxe » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:12 am

i have posted it already in the middle of another thread, but it didnt get much response. i think it got lost within that topic, so here its own thread. Sorry if it comes out as impatience.

I have a question/remark. We are playing using the new ED4 rules wherever we can. So at third circle all of the (human) characters has 15 karma points each day, instead of a much lower, previous value (about 3 per day), and sometimes 30 (if they can do their ritual during the day). This we find a HUGE change from the previous editions, and also a huge amount in itself. Because typically there is only one (or none at all) "big" battle in a day, lasting for a few rounds characters are mostly able to use karma to nearly every roll they make. We have the impression, that the number of decisions a player has to make is lowered by this change of rule, since the answer to the question "should i use karma on this roll?" is almost always "Yes", especially in combat, where the margin of error is typically narrow, since its about life and death. Whats more, there is even spare karma to use for awareness and wilderness survival ("im searching for food, i use karma, because there is plenty!"), etc tests, where erring is less (and certainly rarely) lethal.

Basicaly we have the impression, there is little exagerration in the statement, that: the new, huge amount of karma points just raises every player characters every important roll by an estimated value of 4. We are leaning toward disliking it, and returning to the old rule, since the old rule seems to require more thinking, decision making. We wonder: what was the developers way of thinking behind this change? Are we missing something? We see it as something that made the game less, not more.

etherial
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: number of daily karma points

Postby etherial » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:38 pm

You are getting that impression because ED3 was more restrictive on Karma than any other edition. You would be seeing less of a difference if you were jumping from ED1 or ED2 where Karma maximum was set at character creation. It's going to be a huge adjustment for me to deal with the idea that my First Circle character will only be able to spend 4 Karma in a single encounter.

Roth

Postby Roth » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:21 pm

earcaraxe

Postby earcaraxe » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:14 am

Sangius

Postby Sangius » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:49 am

My experience with Earthdawn is limited to third edition gaming and the number of karma points available seems to increase by quite a lot - which doesn't necessarily has to be a bad thing, that way you can go for a more "cinematic" gaming approach (plus it further helps to distinguish the adepts from non-adept NPCs which isn't too bad) - and you have less details to look out for. Of course, as always, you can easily houserule and reintroduce the 3rd edition rules if you feel like it (I haven't chatted my GM up about the rulechange yet since I am still waiting for the .pdf to be released ... we will see ;) )

Roth

Postby Roth » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:41 am

peterjk3

Postby peterjk3 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:41 pm

I think it's been fine. I only ever played 1st and 4th though. As the GM I don't think my PCs have too much Karma. They Are 3rd Circle, Troll Sky Raider, Obsidiman Weaponsmith, Human Cavalryman, Human Swordmaster, Elf Elementalist, Elf Archer, and Windling Thief. So the windling gets 18, he had only 30 when we updated to 4th rules, the archer had 25, now has 12. And since you could build it up to your max while you are walking/riding across this vast world, they could continue to max out. How often are you in a prolonged situation where you can't do your ritual. But now they are cut down. They isn't one session where my archer doesn't run out of Karma using true shot. As a GM I throw out tons of Perceptiion checks and other bogus types checks just so when I do what to sneak something on them it won't be expected since I throw out so many. I don't like secret test because when I play I want to throw my dice, so I let others do that too. If you are only having 15 checks a games you have a different issue anyways. If you don't want the players to have 30 karma a day sprinkle in some random encounters or make it difficult for them to do a 30 karma ritual. It it ridiculous to go halfway through a Kaer and stop for a karma break anyways.

To top that off you guys have no idea how the Karma for Horrors, Dragons and other creatures will work yet. The karma system may lend itself even better once the GM Guide comes out.

Roth

Postby Roth » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:21 am

earcaraxe

Postby earcaraxe » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:49 am

Roth

Postby Roth » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:32 pm

Return to “Product Discussion”