Durability in ED4

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
vandulus
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Durability in ED4

Postby vandulus » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:13 am

Sorry I have read this thread several times and I still don't understand how the death rating add works

A warrior is a Durability of 7, so each time he circles he adds 7 to his unconscious rating. At circle 1 he adds 8 to his death rating. At circle 2 does he add 9 to his death rating or is it 8? Following that trend it will be a +10 at circle 3 to Death rating?

Or is it just 8 per circle?

thanks

Panda

Postby Panda » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:14 am

The relationship between Unconsciousness Rating and Death Rating in fourth edition may be easier to understand if they are considered not as two different values, but as Death Rating being a bonus added to Unconsciousness Rating.

To be specific, here is the underlying math used:

Base Unconsciousness Rating is equal to twice your toughness. If your toughness is 16, your base Unconsciousness Rating is 32.

Durability adds its rating to your Unconsciousness Rating for each rank. A third circle Warrior will add 21 (rating 7, rank 3) to their base Unconsciousness Rating. For the example character (toughness 16) this is 53.

Your Death Rating is your Unconsciousness Rating + toughness step + highest circle.

The table in the Player's Guide does the math for your base Death Rating for you: base Unconscious Rating + toughness step. Toughness 16 gives you a Death Rating of 39. This example Warrior has an Unconsciousness Rating of 53, toughness step 7, and is third circle, meaning their Death Rating is 63 [53 + 7 + 3]. When they advance to fourth circle, they will increase their Unconsciousness Rating by 7, bringing it to 60, and effectively increasing their Death Rating by 8 (7 + 1) to 71.

Here is the whole formula for those inclined:

Unconsciousness Rating = [Toughness Value] x 2 + [Durability] x Rank - Blood Magic Damage

Death Rating = [Unconsciousness Rating] + [Toughness Step] + [Highest Circle]
Earthdawn Developer and I have a gaming , though, let's face it, it is really an Earthdawn blog which also happens to have some reviews.

Razan_GM
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Razan_GM » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:50 am

It won't get any clearer than this :)

Is Blood Magic only substracted from Unc. in 4 ed?

Edit. In formula above its not included so i just wondered.
Last edited by Razan_GM on Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Panda

Postby Panda » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:18 am

Just as Durability affects Unconsciousness and Death Ratings, so does Blood Magic Damage. Particularly since reducing them is more of a shorthand, when it is technically damage which simply doesn't heal.
Earthdawn Developer and I have a gaming , though, let's face it, it is really an Earthdawn blog which also happens to have some reviews.

etherial

Postby etherial » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:12 am

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:05 pm

I'll see what I can do to polish the explanation on Death Rating and Durability. The current version is based too much on the 3rd Ed wording, and has caused confusion a bit too often.
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Return to “Product Discussion”