4Th ED Wiz Questions about spell matix & how dispell works

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Shuntyr
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

4Th ED Wiz Questions about spell matix & how dispell works

Postby Shuntyr » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:34 pm

Hello,

I was looking at the 4th ed wizard example at 'pandagaminggrove.blogspot.com' and have a few questions....

I was wondering why in the talents list I saw
standard Matrix:5
Enchanced Matrix:5

I thought that all matrix "leveled" with the adept without cost and the highest level
spell you could place in a matrix was determined by the level of the adept. Should these just be listed as Standard Matrix/Enchanced Matix without a number?

Would it be correct to say that if I trained from first to second circle as a wizard and picked the talent option of a "Standard Matrix", this would cost me 200LP to purchase (I am presuming that the cost has not changed frmo ed3 to ed4) and the this "Standard Matrix" would hold any spell up to my current circle?

One more question (for this post), could someone explain the mechanics of the telent Dispel magic?

Thank you

Panda

Re: 4Th ED Wiz Questions about spell matix & how dispell wor

Postby Panda » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:26 pm

Greetings,

Spellcasting disciplines receive two free spell matrices which increase with their circle. The example characters each also selected a Standard and Enhanced spell matrix as talent options. These behave the same as all other talent options and require their rank to be improved.

In your example, the Wizard would pay 100 legend points for a Standard Matrix taken as a Novice talent option and receive it at rank 1. From there, it would need to be improved to hold spells over first circle, using the same cost scheme as other Novice talents.

Dispel Magic is a willpower based talent very similar to the spell. Standard action, 1 Strain, make a Dispel Magic test against the Dispel Difficulty of the spell or talent. If successful, no more effect.

Hopefully this answers everything.
Earthdawn Developer and I have a gaming , though, let's face it, it is really an Earthdawn blog which also happens to have some reviews.

Baravakar
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Baravakar » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:16 pm

Panda

Postby Panda » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:09 pm

The first one. The bolded text is incorrect.
Earthdawn Developer and I have a gaming , though, let's face it, it is really an Earthdawn blog which also happens to have some reviews.

etherial

Postby etherial » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:13 pm

Last edited by etherial on Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Baravakar

Postby Baravakar » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:27 pm

Panda

Postby Panda » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:54 pm

What I get for responding from my cell phone during a late night meeting.

The bolded text of the second quote is incorrect. My initial response is correct.

Shuntyr

Postby Shuntyr » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:50 pm

Thank you all for the quick responses and for the clarification.

Baravakar

Postby Baravakar » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:52 pm

Panda

Postby Panda » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:13 pm

The Dispel Magic talent explicitly only works on spells and talents and does not regard duration. It only affects creature and Horror powers which are also spells. For your question: No, it cannot be used to stop the effects of blood magic and it cannot be used to disenchant a cadaverman.

Depending on the exact situation, Suppress Curse may be what you are after (though it is very much a temporary solution).

Return to “Product Discussion”