disciplines beyond the player book

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
galafrone
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

disciplines beyond the player book

Postby galafrone » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:48 pm

i think i have read (but cant find at the moment) a passage where it was said that the non-base disciplines (the ones contained into the races book 3rd edition) wouldnt see the light in this expansion.
i am correct ? and if yes (that means they arent covered) do you plan something ?
i have many players on those disciplines, and i will be "out of the blue" to conver the old disciplines into a new 4th edition format without a "guide".
thanks

Mataxes
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: disciplines beyond the player book

Postby Mataxes » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:46 pm

It isn't that they won't see light this edition, but there are no immediate plans to get them out in a book.

I realize there are people out there with racial/non-core Disciplines that would love to see an ED4 version, but it isn't a high priority right now.
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

galafrone

Postby galafrone » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:48 pm

ok so it's confirmed :(
well, i am studying the actual disciplines while i am doing the proofread.
a question, that i cant find into the rules.
karma points will be used only on discipline talents or on all talents (even option talents) ?

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:00 pm

All talents.
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Panda

Postby Panda » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:42 am

To be more specific: All talents gained through a discipline. This does not include talents gained through any other source, including your race (Astral Sight, Versatility) or thread items.
Earthdawn Developer and I have a gaming , though, let's face it, it is really an Earthdawn blog which also happens to have some reviews.

galafrone

Postby galafrone » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:54 am

this is very interesting. that means all the talents will be considered as "discipline talents" (those gained through a discipline).
this resets the advantage some disciplines had in combat terms, having the parry/avoid blow as discipline as opposed to options.
very very interesting.
another question. the free talents some discipline gets and most dont.
i remember the complain that a "magic discipline" had before, having 6 talents to improve from circle 1 instead of the usual 5.
now they gets 2 free matrices, and that can be good for me
but why there are other disciplines (archer, air sailor, rogue) that gets 1 free talent and other dont ?
why troubadour and weaponsmith get a skill that can have karma spent on it ? and why isnt that "skill" a talent ?
that free skill cant be already included in the half magic ?
also, why most discipline (the combat using mostly) dont get the free talent / skill, even a "less combat oriented" one ?
sorry for the barrage of questions, just trying to figure out the rationality behind the choices so i can convert the old "racial/extra" discipline without a year or more long wait.
thanks again

galafrone

Postby galafrone » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:14 am

sorry have noticed the right thread for these questions. i will read it and repost there if i dont find the answer to my question.
thanks anyway for the patience

Panda

Postby Panda » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:57 pm

Disciplines with a free talent and karma ability at First Circle also have Durability 5. Disciplines with Durability 7 don't get those benefits because they get Durability 7 instead.

Craftsman and Entertainer can be treated as talents - they function as talents in every way. The free talents aren't a part of half-magic to allow the adept to weave threads to them (if they like), note how they are improved by outside effects (such as thread items), and to make the global changes to half-magic more clear. Half-magic has been scaled back from 3E considerably.
Earthdawn Developer and I have a gaming , though, let's face it, it is really an Earthdawn blog which also happens to have some reviews.

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:56 pm

Perfect ;) I like the tightening of half-magic, especially as the bonus has changed to +Circle, instead of +0.5(Circle), makes it much easier to manage. I have to say, I really like the changes you guy on the dev team have made.

Hey, want to crowd-source those other Disciplines, galafrone? We could start with a Talent Matrix like the one Josh provided for the core Disciplines, and get a few other interested parties in on it.
ED4 Core Disciplines Talent Matrix: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Lys

Postby Lys » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:58 pm

Return to “Product Discussion”