Pre-art draft feedback

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Mataxes
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Pre-art draft feedback

Postby Mataxes » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:54 am

The "Page XX" references are intentionally not filled in. When the final art gets dropped in, those will be filled in as part of the pass to clean up layout issues that might crop up.
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Lime2K
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Lime2K » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:49 pm

Fair enough — I've seen enough books hit press with 'em still in there that I thought it was worth a mention ^_^

enigmafyv

Postby enigmafyv » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:28 pm

I don't know if the formatting is set in stone yet, and I apologize if I'm repeating what may have already been discussed, but I feel that the current 4th edition formatting is out of tune from previous versions of the book. I feel that making the font size slightly smaller, and implementing two columns like all the other books would be a better fit for this book. As it stands, any page now has only about half of the content compared to all previous versions of this book. What's more, the book feels very simple as if it's a straight draft out of M$ Office, w/out any font formatting (different faces, different sizes, etc...). Once again, I'm not sure if this is already discussed as last minute changes that will occur but aren't currently implemented in the recent release (ED4PG150101.PDF). All of the previous versions were artistic in style and this one is very plain, but that could be for a reason that's not been communicated yet (or read by me at least).

By making these changes it helps manyfold as it makes the book smaller in volume from a resizing of characters alone. However, if more hieroglyphics are used through out the book, or initials/dropcaps (in print/web respectively) were used through out the subsections this would help to add more space and grow the book length again.

I just feel the book's aesthetics are lacking compared to previous iterations, but then again I don't know if there's more plans for this before printed copy is released.

Also, while I enjoy the artwork thus far, some of it seems out of place due to how primitive it is. Don't know if there's place holders out there even though they don't include the 'placeholder' nomenclature (i.e. Elementalist portrait pg.96, or Weaponsmith's portrait pg.114). Also, some of the portraits for the disciplines are small, most are approximately the same size and then a few are huge. In the previous iterations, almost all portraits were a specific size for uniformity. I liked having a single page for the Discpline's characteristics and a second page for their archetypes. Now the single characteristic are spread across several pages.

Am I way off base by suggesting any of this, or are these aesthetics still a WIP?

Not my intention to be a negative Nancy. Great job overall so far! :D

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:19 pm

I will let some-one on the dev team respond, but I agree with the sizes of the Discipline character images. I'd rather see them more consistent.

Edit: Also, do a scrub for image margins/spacing. Sometimes the text really crowds against an image, then the next will have a wide margin.
Last edited by Telarus_KSC on Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

etherial

Postby etherial » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:12 am

Lorm_the_Unhappy

Postby Lorm_the_Unhappy » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:16 am

I personally like the one column format. I may be in the minority, but I read most of my books via PDF. This makes reading the books on my devices much easier.

enigmafyv

Postby enigmafyv » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:19 pm

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:33 pm

Part of the thing with the sample image sizes on the Discipline spreads is to get the information to fit the two-page spread that is each Discipline. It might not be as clear if you're looking at the PDF one page at a time, but the write-up for each Discipline is two pages that face each other (and this becomes clearer if you look at a two-page spread in Adobe or a similar reader).

For example:

AirSailor.jpg

Since some Disciplines have more information/word count than others, the size of the image is used to fill out the space (And why there is a full-page image planned right before that, to force the layout into the facing-page setup).

There is also still some cleanup that will be done before the final release (and some additional flourishes with regard to background and the like). However, things are really tight -- we can't go over the 512 page count we're at right now, so tweaks we make need to not throw everything else off and push our page count over the limit.
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:11 pm

I completely understand that aspect of layout, *phew*. Most of the stuff I've laid out had a far lower page count than that, and small changes cascade downstream quickly. We're all excited to see it, and I think you've done a great job overall so far. :)

Lorm_the_Unhappy

Postby Lorm_the_Unhappy » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:01 pm

Should the weaving difficulty of all spells of the same circle be the same?

The Illusionist Trust Spell has a difficulty of 8/13, while other first circle Illusionist spells have a difficult of 5/10.

Return to “Product Discussion”