Pre-art draft feedback

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Panda

Re: Pre-art draft feedback

Postby Panda » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:11 pm

Earthdawn Developer and I have a gaming , though, let's face it, it is really an Earthdawn blog which also happens to have some reviews.

peterjk3
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby peterjk3 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:29 pm

Once again I like that. I need to get out of 1st edition mindset and into 4th. Reread some rules; it's right there in black and white but I was reading thinking of discipline talents in 1st. Thanks.

Panda

Postby Panda » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:48 pm

Not a problem, I'm more than happy to help. It's hard to jettison all of the things which have been true for years and learn something which is new, but very similar. I still get things mixed up between the various editions.
Earthdawn Developer and I have a gaming , though, let's face it, it is really an Earthdawn blog which also happens to have some reviews.

LouProsperi
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby LouProsperi » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:26 pm

Gkeckley

Postby Gkeckley » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:29 pm

Had a couple questions. One I have not seen anything about lowering your mystic defense to cast spells on yourself or when using talents like Earthskin on yourself. Am I missing it or was this option dropped based on extra successes adding to the effect?
Also I noticed willforce can only be used to boost spell effects now. It does not enhance the ability to resist magical effects. Was this intentional as well? Of the spellcaster disciplines only the Nethermancer has access to Lionheart which seems kind of rough for the spellcasters at the higher circles.

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:14 pm

Removing the option to lower Mystic Defense was intentional because of the way extra successes are used for spells and talents.

Given the way magicians tend to have higher Mystic Defense ratings, as well as access to Steel Thought (which allows them to try and "dodge" many magical effects), and the rather significant way that Willforce dominated mid-Circle play in earlier editions, we wanted to scale it back a little bit in terms of its overall effectiveness.

(Also note that other magicians may get access to Lionheart or similar talents at higher circles not included in the Player's Guide, but those higher Circles are still in development.)
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

peterjk3

Postby peterjk3 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:12 pm

Is the release of the gm guide going to coincide with the players guide so all the look at gm guide spots in the players guide will have specific page numbers. I know everyone wants the book ASAP but I think waiting a bit for a better product would be better. Can't really play without the gm book anyways.

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:51 pm

I'll be honest, the GM's Guide is in a much rougher state than I want it to be at this point.

We're already going to be waiting for it... we'll see what come to pass over the course of the next couple of weeks.
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

peterjk3

Postby peterjk3 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:35 am

I understand. I also know I'm in the minority. I've also gotten my fix since I'm reading the Preart. I just figured you could put out the PDF without page number references and update it later when you had both books done. I'll be happy either way. Thanks for all the hard work guys. I don't think it gets brought up enough while taking crap from people in the forums

Gkeckley

Postby Gkeckley » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:12 am

Is there a limit to the number of additional threads the spellcaster can weave to a spell? In combat this really is not an issue. But, outside of combat this could be a huge issue. Take the spell air armor as an example. You could weave an additional thread to increase the duration to rank +5 minutes. Then you could weave an additional 10 threads to increase the bonus to the armor by 10 for a total of +13 to armor. There are several spells that could be abused this way.

Return to “Product Discussion”