Pre-art draft feedback

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Sethariel

Re: Pre-art draft feedback

Postby Sethariel » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:17 pm

Thanks for the answer about the Create Projectile ability.

And now for something completely different... I know it has been already talked about, but I somehow missed it, "the gummi bear problem", I mean having the Great Leap talent as a skill. I also think it's a little overpowered. And it can easily be fixed just by not allowing the talent to be a skill (Skill: No). If there is still time to change that, please consider that.

By the way, a great thanks to all you guys (and women if there are any here) for your posts, comments, and listening to our feedback! It's really awesome, and reminds me a little of the good days of RedBrick :)

Dougansf
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Dougansf » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:59 am

I'm a little curious about the thinking behind the spell ranges.

It seems that most combat spells are 20 yards (most with extra threads for +10 yards). Scanning through, I found very few that are higher, with one spell at 50 yards.

20 yards is comparable to thrown weapons (best being Hawk Hatchet at 24/48), but is dwarfed by ranged weapons (the king being Elven Longbow at 48/96).

Panda

Postby Panda » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:49 am

Spells are generally medium range options. This was selected to preserve that value of a missile weapon for long range. Some longer range spells were included to provide such options to interest casters, though they sacrifice some punch for the extra range and most players are probably unwilling to regularly make the sacrifice. As to why the aren't really competing with missile weapons, it is because spellcasters are not combat disciplines and their ranged spells should never overshadow an Archer.
Earthdawn Developer and I have a gaming , though, let's face it, it is really an Earthdawn blog which also happens to have some reviews.

Sundahk
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Sundahk » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:16 pm

Hi again :)

Regarding the Alchemy skill: it says under Creating Potions and Salves, "The character makes an Alchemy test against the appropriate Difficulty Number". In 3rd Edition it was the Enchanting Difficulty listed for the item in the Healing Aid table, but as far as I can tell Enchanting Difficulties are gone in 4th Ed. So what is the "appropriate Difficulty Number"?

Roth

Postby Roth » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:49 am

Kasbak

Postby Kasbak » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:21 am

Qui_Revient_de_Loin

Postby Qui_Revient_de_Loin » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:23 am

Another Earthdawn french fan :) and not fluent in english...
--
My ED campaign blog:

Panda

Postby Panda » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:02 pm

You are operating from an assumption (spellcasters are the most powerful at everything) and using this to inform the rest of the world as logic. However, I contend your assumption is wrong, ergo the logic from which it follows is faulty. All disciplines derive their power from the same source, adepts, disciplines, talents. Spellcasters have a particular application which is very versatile. However, others have specific magic which is more powerful in specific areas. This is actually the more logical progression regarding specialization v. generalization. In this scenario, spellcasters are the generalists, while others who use magic are more specialized in their areas. This isn't the D&D case where not everyone can use magic because it's magic, this is a case where everyone uses magic. To view everything as only the classic trope set forth by D&D is incredibly boring to me, particularly when it is unnecessary and not appropriate to the setting.
Earthdawn Developer and I have a gaming , though, let's face it, it is really an Earthdawn blog which also happens to have some reviews.

Lys

Postby Lys » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:20 pm

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:23 pm

It fits with the logic of the world, as it leaves "design space" for boosting spell ranges insanely by possessing someone's Pattern Item. *cackle* Most spell ranges in earlier editions were fairly tight. Checking the preview vs 3rd edition...

[**Oh, just noticed this and I want to call out that the preview PDF is missing a bookmark for "Missile Weapons" in the Goods and Services Chapter, that didn't get onto the feedback spreadhsheet.**]

So, checking the preview vs 3rd edition, Longbows have range increments of 40/80 yards in both editions. Checking quickly through the 3rd ed spells chapter, most of the classic attack spells (Blizzard Sphere, Fireball, Razor Orb, etc) have ranges from 40-50 yards. Some notable spells like Leaping Lizards (an attack illusion) range out to 60 yards. There are no attack spells that can get to 80 yards in 3rd edition, period.

I disagree with the comment that casters " aren't combat disciplines" to the point that when Troubadours get Blade Juggle, every Adept is a combat character (but it is true that caster's don't "focus" on combat to the extent that the other Disciplines do, don't let my nitpicking say otherwise :P).

I also noted that Archers lost Sprint (at least so far up to 8th circle), so leaving them with the best base range is ok with me. They'll be getting bum-rushed by Thieves at Novice, and then Beastmasters, Scouts, Sky Raiders, and Swordsmasters at Journeymen. They need the range to hit more than once before getting caught in a melee.

Return to “Product Discussion”