GM's Guide -- Anything you would like to see?

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Tattered Rags
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: GM's Guide -- Anything you would like to see?

Postby Tattered Rags » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:47 pm

Strain is also a form of blood magic, generally used as a power source for magical abilities (i.e.: Talents), or so I have always understood it.

Telarus_KSC
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Telarus_KSC » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:07 am

I have been thinking of asking people to track strain through the round separately and add it in at the end of the round. Much easier to make the little 5-slashes type counter, then total them at the end of the round. Although there were those Combat Cards some-one made that had a damage track. Damage tracks work well with ED's strain, which gave me the idea. You could even use physical counters. I also thought of having something happen if you took over your WT in Strain in one round, but am not sure of that - as taking WT in Strain in one round is already a pretty "bad" thing.

Marceli

Postby Marceli » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:48 am

kosmit

Postby kosmit » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:16 am

http://www.kosmitpaczy.pl/moje-projekty ... tusu-do-ed

In case you are wondering what damage track is Telarus speaking about. I made an english version of the most basic card for you. Enjoy!

Also if guys in FASA need someone to make editable version of character cards I volunteer. I made many of them for not only ED but other systems so I could give you a hand :)
Duvvelsheyss

Kasbak

Postby Kasbak » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:57 pm

I generally only bother with strain while in combat. Outside of combat, players will still take strain, but if they aren't in a stressful situation where they can't easily recover, they can just blow it off a short while later. Basically, as long as it's not enough strain to cause a wound, it can just be ignored as it will be auto recovered once you've had a moment to catch your breath, relax your eyes, stretch your muscles, etc. In combat, it makes sense to me that you may have to expend extra effort to use some abilities, and that this effort will bring you closer to being taken down. If I'm using Sprint to run across a field to deliver a message, I may be winded when I get there, but I'll recover once I've had a moment. If I'm using Sprint to run across the battle field to strike a different opponent, I'll also be winded, but this time I won't have that chance to recover if I'm still in a fight, and being out of breath will make me easier to take down.

Ultimately, I believe it all boils down to a matter of choices and consequences, which I believe is at the heart of the elegant balance of Earthdawn. You want to hold on to your Legend Points and only spend them on raising your Melee Weapons Talent to rank 10 before reaching 2nd Circle? Sure, you can do that, and you'll enjoy the benefits, but you also have to suffer the consequences of having very little ranks in anything else. You want to use Second Attack to try and take this opponent down faster? No problem, but you've got to put out the extra effort for it, and that may mean taking some strain.

etherial

Postby etherial » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:08 pm

Qui_Revient_de_Loin

Postby Qui_Revient_de_Loin » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:47 am

Why not turn strain into damage ? It will be more gritty and simpler to track... That, or just ignore strain if we want a simpler, faster combat.
Another Earthdawn french fan :) and not fluent in english...
--
My ED campaign blog:

kosmit

Postby kosmit » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:33 am

But as far as I remember Strain is Damage.
Duvvelsheyss

etherial

Postby etherial » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:44 am

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:46 am

Ah.... what? I don't recall that (and never played it that way).

You could (I supopse) take a wound if you took that much strain from a single source (like, say Claw Frenzy), but not a bunch of different one-point sources.
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Return to “Product Discussion”