GM's Guide -- Anything you would like to see?

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Notaure
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: GM's Guide -- Anything you would like to see?

Postby Notaure » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:24 pm

I would like to see maybe advanced rules for group's true pattern...
Notaure, a french fan of Earthdawn

Lanah
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Lanah » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:14 pm

First of all:
Actual NEW stuff not just the old Earthdawn texts copy/paste for a forth time

Another goodie that would make gamemastering a bit more easy concerning cities:
laws/law enforcement/punishment for breaking laws

Table of healing herbs/poisons with stats that can be found easily not after searching/reading the text entries for half an hour!

Spader

Postby Spader » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:53 am

In ED3, many powers (creature powers, spirit powers and so on) are actually missing some informations. Like range and duration for instance.

kosmit

Postby kosmit » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:00 am

I would't thought I would actualy say that but I would like to see more tables with stats, world info (fees for bigger range of services, prices of estates and everyday items, random npc generators), prices. I am not a fan of rolling for everything but sometimes such things serve as examples to create your own stuff or to flesh out the world (prices in brothels for example or income of different professions).
Duvvelsheyss

Notaure

Postby Notaure » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:01 am

I would like to see mass combat rules to go with maybe the continuation of the official campaign...

Elidis

Postby Elidis » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:37 am

Maybe it's not the right thread, because what I would like to see is for Players Guide, GM Guide and Companion . (For PG it's a little late I guess). here is my personal whish-list:

- new drawings for the disciplines
- provide a summary of the ED timeline and different ones for Players Guide and GM Guide (GM Guide includes more unknown events)
- summarize the events of from Prelude to War up to BaW and BiC, if you start afterwards with your Edition. But don't go to much into details.
- Don't change the stories of BaW and BiC to much, to avoid conflicts (Horror Cloud: yes, but what's in there: please no) (Vivane attacked and
heavently damaged: yes, creating P2: better not) by the way my Vivane became a City of massive creature growing, where
People, magical creatures and magical effects make it a dangerous place. And the Invae are back, too

- use old step table D20+D4
- no use for strain (most of the time players forget it to substract it from their lifepoints)
- easier Karma use (for all talents)
- make the casters more special as in the 1stEd. After releasing Arcane Mysteries and the Magic book all casters can do
dispel magic for example

- create clear rules without optional rules. It's ugly to talk to other fans and have 10 different variants of rulesets for the same edition
(I guess most of us already have their own houserules)
- don't let Spells cost Legend Points. Take extra money instead.
- Some new character pictures would be nice too e.g. King Neden or Jada Denairastas, Queen Alachia and maybe some rulers
from Travar

- create a new character sheet, maybe before the new release and provide it as pdf with editable fields on your homepage

- create a new Barsaive Map, maybe more focused on borderlines or warlines between the kingdoms, to show their area of influence (Barsaive,
Iopos, Cara Fahd, the new dwarf kingdom Scytha, etc)

- invent the healer discipline (why a healer must be always a Garlen questor?) A Craftsman is not automatically an Updandal Questor :-)
- make the weaponsmith more exiting. Give him Astral Sight, Access to elementalism spells, or
find something new, like rune creations, which he can place on his armor or weapons (for increasing protection or damage)

- Same is for Troubadour with all the Talents he has only one to make music... maybe you can create some magical songs for him, working
similar as spells. For example song of peace calm down beasts or song of courage negates fear affects on all group members.

- create a new table for defining how damage increases if you are getting hit by a fire cannon of a battle ship or how
the damage would be handled a character may inflict on a behemoth. A character will hit the behemoth very easy
but his damage step is drastically reduced. The other way around a moving person is very difficult to hit by a firecannon,
but if the person is hit, the damage should be 3 to 4 times higher, than a ship do to another ship in combat

- penality with wounds easily say 1 wound = -1 step to all tests (not to damage tests and no toughness checks)
starting at the 2nd wound with penalities confuses part time players..

- And penalities on damage tests (willforce or strenth) are logic, but frustating the players and the fights getting longer and longer

optimize magicians

-wizard may use spells of other disciplines as well belonging to versatitility talent of humans. And make it more attractive.

- elementalist strenghten his healing skills, check all spells and give every elemtal spell to him
(e.g. ignite can be done by a wizard only, but not by an elementalist, funny 1std Ed)

- nethermancer
he is a monster in self-protection, healing, resurrection and damageing.
death cheat spell is ok, but healing spells like recovery belongs to elementalist
please make this guy less multi-tasking ;-)

- illu
boah simplify spells they should have a more mechanic effect you don't have to disscuss or endless to explain
(e.g. if spell hits opponent has -3 steps penaltiy to all actions, something like this)
in the hand of a powergamer an illu is a mighty foe for any GM...and blow up the whole group.

This is really a huge list :shock:
cu

Marceli

Postby Marceli » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:18 am

Make fight quicker, static initiative and similar. Fighter have 2 talent to increase speed, each cost strain, he can use any other combat initiative maneuver it take to much time ! (We already drop declaration ang to action from fastest to speed up)
To many restriction in all talents, to many rules for each to remember. Make them easy to understand and able to quick description for fast use. Stop duplicate them ! and then you must read if they can be used or not at once, or effect overlap or not. Tag: overlap, highest
like: Taunt and similar to decrease steeps.

I also do not like wounds now i would prefer other system.

To many talents with strain at least allow some work talent rounds, fight is mess with adding this strains all time. initiative, doge, hit, damage ..... some fighter are badly hurt without receiving any hits from enemy !
IMO fight in Ed is to long because of all this restrict.

Add some more reasonable economy, prices are mess now.

Ed3: speed are mess i understand that go to smaller fields to use, but make people of earthdawn are slow like cockroach. 30s to 100m dash ?(Windling 8hex x 2run) i think in kindergarten child run faster :P
Running - 10km run is deadly for 15 circle warrior (run cost strain in good shape he maybe run for 1 km and die). It is example :P

Adept already need spent legends there to make work better, what for we need strain ?? Now it almost like anything usefully should cost strain. Why knack always cost strain ?

It can be alternate rules in GM.

Notaure

Postby Notaure » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:20 pm

Utsukushi

Postby Utsukushi » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:39 pm

I think I remember them saying.. somewhere or another, that they are revamping Strain somewhat, but what I remember was that they were bringing it back to make sense as Strain, and not, as it has kind of evolved into, a way of controlling Talents and Skills that logically can be used over and over and over again but reasonably shouldn't be because it damages the game.

Just, you know, academically and all, though, I like Strain; it's a nice "intermediary" cost to using certain abilities that gives a reason why Air Dance is an option in your arsenal, and not just Something You Do every time. It helps make each combat round a little bit different and breaks up the basic monotony of, "To Hit. Damage. To Hit. Damage. To Hit..missed. To Hit. Damage." And, well... it was a good way to control Talents and Skils that could logically be used over and over again but reasonably shouldn't. Take Search, for instance. In AD&D, abilities like that usually come with the rule that you can try them once in an area, and that's just abstracted to, "how well you searched", and you're done. In real life, of course, if you really think something's there - your car keys, for instance - and your search doesn't turn them up you.. keep looking. And that *does* work.

But in a game, you can't just say someone can roll a thousand Search checks and take the best result, because that basically amounts to an automatic perfect success every time. So Strain is a reasonable way of saying, "You can keep going, but.. think about it."

Except that it doesn't totally make sense, because, well, I can spend hours looking for my car keys (um... well, not *often*), and I'm not hurting myself like that. So.. I'm not sure where the answer to that lies. But I like Strain in its place, and hopefully the new developers have come up with something brilliant.

Roth

Postby Roth » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:23 pm

Strain started out as a pacing mechanic.

Return to “Product Discussion”