GM's Guide -- Anything you would like to see?

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Utsukushi
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: GM's Guide -- Anything you would like to see?

Postby Utsukushi » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:22 pm

Where is that? I can't find it at all. Even with Talents that add up (Quick Shot is the example), it says you take the Strain "multiple times" -- which suggests to me that Strain arguably wouldn't cause a Wound even if you had, say, Rank 10 Quick Shot and a Wound Threshold of 8 and used it for ten shots, taking ten damage - because it would be ten instances of one damage, not one instance of ten.

peterjk3
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby peterjk3 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:33 pm

I've been reading this thread as it's been written, but it's been awhile since I've gone back through it, so if this is in there forgive me. I've been rereading ally 1st edition books getting ready for 4th. I never played anything but 1st. In the end of denizens volume 1 there are poisons Windlings make, but no where does it list a price for these. It would be nice for the goods sections to have prices for these and other man made poisons you can buy as well as the stats and effects of the poisons. I've been meaning to look in some other books but have not made it through others yet. I was thinking maybe in the survival guide there may be some info. Thanks

EDChronicler

Postby EDChronicler » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:50 pm

Roth

Postby Roth » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:45 pm

Marceli

Postby Marceli » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:04 am

"That is your choice to do, but as we can see there is a consequence for doing so. "
If you want to effective there is no choice. I can make choice to hit via bow or hand weapon, but there is no choice to avoid blow, parry. Also being later then monster or not at lest good success for 2 attack is total waste.

This choice is illusion for me. Longer fight warrior is weaker then any not strain depend person. It is not like warrior will dodge/parry all attack or not get hit by spell it will decrease it length of fight(in 1 ed you can heal by potion immediate, but last edition if you have test it only add bonus so you need fire blood as must). It have better starting pool but it is very small poll if fight take more then 5 rounds.

Warrior fight is mathematics :P Will i survive with my current blood pool :P

Roth

Postby Roth » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:08 pm

Effective is a loaded term in RPGs. One person's effective is to another a Optimized Munchkin Super-Build.
If what you suggested is the only way to be effective(for you), than of course you will be having issues with the game.

I would suggest taking a long look at what is going on during your sessions to figure out why the Warrior feels the need to do all what you posted, every round, in order to feel effective. Perhaps what you are going against is too much, to strong for the group or perhaps the others in the group are not holding their own weight or lack of group think.

Marceli

Postby Marceli » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:11 am

In RL faster kill is also better. It is not about feel, warrior is basic attacker on combat it is his role so he must be effective !

Go and check monster on 5-7 circle, there is plenty overpowered because of STATS (and some are joke - to easy to kill). So hit it first and pin down to effective lowering defense and allow rest to get decent hits on it is best.

Our group is have fighting power very high(3 warriors, 2 mages), but getting hit with 20-25 damage steep is huge, usually hit steps are 16-20 steep for monster (we can have similar defense with anticipate) and as dodge do not have any bonus it is almost impossible to dodge 15-16 steep + karma is barely 20 usual - our defense. It is mechanics on higher circles, without boost you are not match to enemy. Monster are : faster, stronger and better armored and some of them have abilities that damper you (howling, fear etc).

I would like to see more heroic fight, but Strain is sometime most damaging factor in fight and not using it bring down you even faster.

IMO monsters are to hard and second some disciplines are totally useless in combat situation and still they count with monster "spawn".
Ed have severe balance problem on higher level, any discipline lacking karma on hit are not combat usable, even if hit it just can't break monster armor.

Second is lack of any field control, you can go anywhere without any problem as long path is possible, you cannot block advance monster to weaker members of group. We avoid it by blocking somehow and as most monster attack nearest target if not really intelligent.
You can try block attack to other people with knack but it cost 2 STRAIN (surprise :P) and you will take damage on your armor. Also armor defeating hits are absolute crazy, one lucky shot and 1/4 to 1/2 hp in one hit. And if any not warrior fight they get such hit every hit. 10-12 defense is just to low.
On lower levels it is fine as there is more balance with starting defense. But i do not remember anyone not have high dex or it die from armor defeating hits.

Let assume monster with karma(10 step not much):
1 karma on initiative and win(13 steep +10 karma =23), 1 karma on hit (16+10 = 26 for 10-12 it is defeating hit) - armor defeating hit, 1 karma on damage (20+10)-> mage is one shot or almost out of hp or lost 2/3 of them and down.
And let assume that monster have magic attack versus 12 magic defense(+4 items) of warrior with 16 hit steep If he add karma then again armor defeat with huge damage.

So in summary you must kill it fast or you go down even faster.

Ouasu

Postby Ouasu » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:57 pm

Marceli

Postby Marceli » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:53 am

etherial

Postby etherial » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:25 am

Return to “Product Discussion”