GM's Guide -- Anything you would like to see?

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
etherial
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: GM's Guide -- Anything you would like to see?

Postby etherial » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:30 pm

Anunnaki
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Anunnaki » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:35 pm

Hiya,

Ditto to Etherial's post, above. You could do this with EDC and ED3 as well -- from the PDFs, naturally -- and the PDFs were all searchable. In fact, the EDC PDFs were all hyperlinked internally as well (a majorly time-consuming task when they were produced, akin to being a Horror's plaything in terms of sanity-sapping jobs).

The only tricky PDFs, from an OCR- and searchable-PDF perspective, are the ED1 and ED2 PDFs; that's because when I made those, there was no electronic source content (many complete collections of Earthdawn "died" for the greater cause of getting to the juicy text and images contained therein...).

The OCR for the ED1/2 PDFs is based on what Acrobat generated at the time. That's also one of the reasons why some typos crept into future generations of the game -- everything was manually edited (tangentially, the same with Fading Suns and Blue Planet).

Take kaer, James

Athaeis

Postby Athaeis » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:35 pm

Wait, you did the original 1st Edition, and then LRGs 2nd Edition, and put them in searchable PDF format? Where, pray tell, would I find those? I may not use them outright, but I wouldn't mind having them as collectibles. Who'da'thunk that PDFs would become collectable? hehe

Panda

Postby Panda » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:38 pm

Ask and ye shall receive.

Earthdawn Developer and I have a gaming , though, let's face it, it is really an Earthdawn blog which also happens to have some reviews.

Sangeet

Postby Sangeet » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:07 pm

etherial

Postby etherial » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:23 pm

Flowswithdrek

Postby Flowswithdrek » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:34 pm

Dougansf

Postby Dougansf » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:49 pm

Athaeis

Postby Athaeis » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:42 pm

Sangeet

Postby Sangeet » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:28 am

I personally think that the FATE rules are okay, but for long term play i would prefer something which has more under its belly - its not that I don't like the Earthdawn rules, I am also very familiar with them, as I learned them inside out.
I just took FATE as an example of a modern system, which is narratively driven, and not aimed to be a combat simulator.

Even when you say, the player can use shortcuts in the rulebook, to mark the interesting pages she has to reread. Once you reach 5th circle, the options are quiet a lot. What is, when your character dies, you have to learn a whole bunch of new options, which may be slightly differently working as your character before, assuming you change your class for your new character.

Yes, i took the example for Air Dance from the 3rd Editon. (It was called like that in 1st, 2nd as well, just the first talent entry from the list.)

I made those short rules summary for new players, i actually created a card game for the Earthdawn Universe, which can be used as a plot /story generator. I know it took me like 6 Weeks to create it in my spare time. It works somewhat similar to the "Once upon a time" card game, i just replaced the characters with T'skrang, obsidimen, dwarfs and the objectives with something more dramatic, and with emotion cards, so you could invent a quick Earthdawn coloured story, even when you don't know the system in depth. I did it for my new players, to involve them more, and give them something at hand, so they doesn't struggle so much, when I ask them to tell a story about their characters live. I actually wanted to have a player driven game, instead of an objective driven game.

I am just saying that with accessibility the playability of the system would improve quiet a lot. I am happy to hear that the character generator is already in development supporting cards for spells and talents.

I know that the Steps are essentially the average number of the dice rolled. So a D6 , is on average a 3.5 as result. Rounded Up its 4. So Step 10 is: D10 + D6, as the average from a D10 is 5,5, rounded up is 6.

To derive it, it just had to do a little math. (I didnt doube check it, but its how i remember it.) But there are faster systems around now. Dont get me wrong i love exploding dice ! Its a cool mechanic.

What i especially like nowadays are systems with Symbols. Descent board game has such a system or the Edge of the Empire system. Essentially its a pool system, where you factor in positive and negative aspects of the tested result, and improve your dice pool with the expertise you have in the field. Its a very slick and narrative system they invented.
It also allows unforeseen things to happen when the Triumph symbol is rolled.

I don't say copy that system, I just say - make the Earthdawn system more accessible to the end users, as you compete with such systems as the ones I mentioned.

The Earthdawn mythos is very strong, in my opinion its stronger as any other fantasy world around - everyone i know speaks very positive of it, and i know that there are two metal bands who directly sing about Barsaive.
There are no Metal Bands i know, that sing for the Forgotten Realms.

In my opinion, what should be right at hand, and possible without consulting the rulebook is:

1. Talents
2. Spells
3. Combat Rules
4. Recovery Rules
5. Shopping & Poisons /Services (renting a house, renting a caravan, air travel , buying food in a tavern.)
6. Item Cards for Magic Items

Especially here where a magic item isn't just a +1 sword, its Kegels Sword:

http://pandagaminggrove.blogspot.de/201 ... em-11.html

So when you need to reference it, its quiet a lot of documentation, for just one item.

Return to “Product Discussion”