A new Developer's Blog? Why yes!

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Utsukushi
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: A new Developer's Blog? Why yes!

Postby Utsukushi » Thu May 22, 2014 1:17 pm

Kasbak

Postby Kasbak » Thu May 22, 2014 5:30 pm

Roth
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Roth » Fri May 23, 2014 3:20 am

Lys

Postby Lys » Fri May 23, 2014 6:54 am

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Fri May 23, 2014 11:50 am

Roth

Postby Roth » Fri May 23, 2014 1:08 pm

LouProsperi

Postby LouProsperi » Fri May 23, 2014 1:14 pm

Tanthalas

Postby Tanthalas » Fri May 23, 2014 2:45 pm

I haven't yet had a chance to play with the new shield rules, but the rest of the combat changes were all pretty refreshing for me as a GM. The removal of armor defeating hits is something that a lot of people are unsure about it, and you should of course test it yourself, but I think it all still works. The math is easier for the GM, it keeps tables out of it and makes the whole thing feel a lot more streamlined. At the same time, exploding dice still make combat tense and there were still quite a few cheers at my tables from good hit and damage rolls.

I like adding in the damage bonuses post roll (instead of increasing the step) since it again keeps tables out of it and makes results simple to interpret. It also helps me keep my NPC monsters' defenses a secret. I can tell the players through my narrative how much damage they appear to be doing and I don't necessarily have to tell them how many 'successes' they scored on their attack. On the other hand, the step table feels simpler to commit to memory now, but I like that it isn't as required.

So far I am excited about these changes, there is just one big question I have left. How are thread items going to work? Forging Weapons and Armor has freed up quite a bit of mechanical space for Thread Items and their powers. I am hoping we see a lot of very unique powers going into our magic items that really take advantage of this mechanical space. Bonuses to talents would just be a start...

Keep up the good work guys!
I'm one of the Legends of Barsaive guys. Questions? Comments? Concerns? Bawdy Jokes? PM me!

Panda

Postby Panda » Fri May 23, 2014 4:14 pm

I tried to write most of the thread items with an eye towards providing good examples of how to put together your own thread items. The idea being show, don't tell. The GM Guide will have mostly lower tier items (Novice and Journeyman), which means the design space for abilities is more constrained - which isn't necessarily a bad thing. "A lot of very unique" abilities is a tall order by any stretch of the imagination, particularly since I'm uncertain what a lot and very unique entail. I can say most of the Journeyman and above (but not all) were written with the intention they should be mechanically interesting and have a clear theme which the mechanics support. Also, have consisntent design, rather than all over the place. If you want a larger spread for your own game, go for it, but it isn't helpful when presenting examples to have vast disparity.
Earthdawn Developer and I have a gaming , though, let's face it, it is really an Earthdawn blog which also happens to have some reviews.

Spader

Postby Spader » Fri May 23, 2014 6:19 pm

Return to “Product Discussion”