4th Ed Canon

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Kin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

4th Ed Canon

Postby Kin » Thu May 01, 2014 6:16 am

Been away from the Earthdawn universe for some years, still bought everything that has been released. I've played the game since the first free adventure teaser was released before the 1st ed was released back in 92-93. Wrote some stuff on the EDPT page when it existed.

Through the years, through all the editions I've seen the developers just had tweaked here and there on the rules. But no major changes in the setting. Now comes the 4th ed! And we have just jumped 5 years into the future from where we left the past books setting.... In real time over 20 years!

So I have just a few questions:
-Is there some big / major changes in the setting/canon? Or would you just small tweaks here like the rules? Are the developers afraid to kill the major NPCs? Afraid to pop up new cities on the Barsaive map? Is there a George RR Martin among you? :twisted:

Telarus_KSC
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: 4th Ed Canon

Postby Telarus_KSC » Thu May 01, 2014 11:21 am

Hey Kin! There are some interesting setting updates in store (but I'm at work, atm, so don't have my bookmarks...). The big thing to note is that the events of 2nd Edition (Barsaive at War / Barsaive in Chaos) don't happen in the way they go down in 2nd Edition. Hopefully, some-one has a good summary they can post here.

Welcome back to the ED community!

Xandarth

Postby Xandarth » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:48 am

LouProsperi

Postby LouProsperi » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:53 am

kosmit

Postby kosmit » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:37 am

But it's true that completely changing the place with entire box set is a bit too much and is controversial.
Duvvelsheyss

etherial

Postby etherial » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:04 pm

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:06 pm

It was the gharmek's undead migration in 2nd that killed it for me. I could have used undead Vivane as a counterpoint to Parlainth, but then the plots got mixed and muddled.

LouProsperi

Postby LouProsperi » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:08 am

LouProsperi

Postby LouProsperi » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:15 am

Xandarth

Postby Xandarth » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:40 pm

It's not the destruction of Vivane that was the problem. It was that they created an exactly the same environment as Parlainth. The undead migration for me too was when I thought "these guys are too lazy or too unimaginative to be allowed to take control of the narrative of a game I'm running."

They could have done anything there instead they decided on copypasta. And lets all ignore the fact that the Barsavians just murdered about 150,000 slaves with the destruction of Vivane and Skypoint. That's literally about 25% of the entire regions population. The entire campaign was ludicrous and completely ignored any realistic depiction of warfare or conquest. The logistics of the entire Barsavian campaign are unbelievable from go to whoa.

---------

Imagine instead, a war wracked Vivane where the Therans have resealed their Citadel over the Theran Quarter. Have monsters and Horrors drawn into the Broken Quarter due to the magical battles in the streets, plus various traps, unexploded magical ordinance throughout the city, the merchants and Theran sympathisers in charge of the Merchant Quarter bunkered down fearing repercussions, the Resistance in charge of the remaining quarter.

Have the combined allied force of Barsavians fall back to either the ruins of Skypoint or more realistically back to Cara Fuad to try and reconsolidate after the loss of somewhere between 15% and 30% of their armed forces, leaving only enough troops to keep the Therans trapped inside their citadel either by building a string of fortifications around the city or inside the city itself.

You could have missions to retrieve people or items stuck in the city. Raids by Therans out into the Barsavian quarters, attempts by Barsaivians to infiltrate the Theran citadel, attempts by the Therans to send relief supplies to their beleaguered forces. Attempts by various factions to gain advantage in the situation, settle scores, or simply profit at the expense of their fellow Name-givers. Have the players deal with the problem of suddenly freeing over 150,000 slaves and the economic and social repercussions to the entire region. Have groups of dwarves back in Throal getting angry about the influx of refugees and the impact they are having on their own lives.

It could have been amazing.

Instead we got a second city full of ruined buildings, traps, horrors and magical treasure.....
...Inhabited by exactly the same undead faction that lived in the last city.

--------

Edit: Btw. I came up with that idea in about 3 minutes and I've just worked an 11 hour shift. Thus my confusion as to how the LRG team managed to get that whole scenario past their editors given I've just no-brained one that provides far better tools to GM's for creating intrigue, adventure and unique experiences for their playing group than LRG managed to push out after months of development.

RPG developers are in the business of creating locations, scenes, characters, items and the like for GM's and players to create their own imaginary world from. If you ever get to the end of writing some material and realise you've actually just reduced the diversity of scenes, characters, history and other world building blocks available to the people who will be using your product rather than giving them more tools to use, you are probably doing it wrong.
Last edited by Xandarth on Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Product Discussion”