Summon

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
bleeding
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Summon

Postby bleeding » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:03 pm

Summon is a Discipline Talent for Elementalist and Nethermancer.

I don't play with spirits because I found them unbalanced, too powerful and I've read than some GM didn't use them.

The problem is that the player must raise the Rank of Summon if he wants to raise in Circles, as it is a Discipline Talent.

So, it would be a waste of LP for players that can't use summoned spirits.

Is it planned to transform that Discipline Talent into a Talent Option, a spell (some spells summon spirits) or a Circle ability ?

Panda

Re: Summon

Postby Panda » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:30 pm

The mechanics of summoning and spirits are being changed to bring the entire sub-system in line with the rest of the game. The primary issue behind Summon is how disproportionately powerful it is in comparison to other effects.
Last edited by Panda on Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Earthdawn Developer and I have a gaming , though, let's face it, it is really an Earthdawn blog which also happens to have some reviews.

bleeding

Postby bleeding » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:46 pm

That's good to know :)

Thanks for the reply !

kosmit

Postby kosmit » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:44 am

In my game I've made three changes to summoning:
Summoner may control a number of spirits with combined Ratings no higher than his Summon Rank.
Summoning takes Spirit Rating rounds.
Aid Summoner lasts Spirit Rating rounds not minutes.

Spirits are still powerful but at least their power comes with higher cost :)
Duvvelsheyss

Etorian

Postby Etorian » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:03 pm

We had a thread talking about changes to this a while back... I'm glad to hear that it is being addressed in the new system! Any chance we might get a preview of some of the new summoning system in a future update? I'm so excited for 4th edition.

Return to “Product Discussion”