Developer's Blog -- A pair of new spell mechanics

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Kasbak

Re: Developer's Blog -- A pair of new spell mechanics

Postby Kasbak » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:25 pm

Spader
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Spader » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:10 pm

Thanks Kasbak.

But I already knew about that rule. Multi-Mind Dagger has Weaving difficulty of 9 and 12 for Ricochet Attack.
Weaving only 2 threads for Multi-Mind Dagger brings the DN to 18 which is kind of challenging for a sixth circle character (at that circle the Thread Weaving talent would have a step around 13)

In short, yes this rule help, but it can't be relied upon.

On the other hand, if ED4 allows for threading one thread per success, that start getting interresting.
Last edited by Spader on Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tattered Rags
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Tattered Rags » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:10 pm

Spader

Postby Spader » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:30 pm

I think the biggest strength of the Illusionist is it's capacity to take down opponents without actually killing them. Because, killing ennemies can often put characters into more troubles (because killing is illegal in some cities for instance or because the ennemy need to be interrogated). And sometimes, Players are just not blood thirsty murderers. And this is where the illusionist has an edge.

I had a player who "solved" many problems using the Suffocation spell. A good damage output with an area of effect. He would use that spell without hold knowing that it would never kill anyone.

And yes, this discipine can give a GM a hard time when it's in the hand of a smart and crafty player.

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:35 pm

Definitely like what I'm seeing. Nice work guys!

Illusionists in Earthdawn can be tricky to GM for. As mentioned, they are much more social-combat style adepts, or solve conflicts in very tricky ways. But I love that in Earthdawn the Illusions still have Patterns and affect the mind (as opposed to individual senses). This cuts a lot of vague handwaving out of playing (and running as GM for ) Illusionists.

I can assume (True) Blazing Fists of Rage will also be bundled into a single spell, too. Very good implementation for these type of problems. After running a few Illusionists against my players, I ended up just having each one carry Matrix Items of each version of these spells on them (one ring with a sapphire, one with green glass that looks exactly the same, etc) so they wouldn't have to re-weave on-the-fly, and let them use their Matrix Talents for other spells.

I used this workaround after any of my players stopped being interested in Illusionists due to the various rough spots in the rules. Great to see this part of Magic get streamlined.

Nahor

Postby Nahor » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:37 pm

again, loving the changes, and the new spell.

sirserafin

Postby sirserafin » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:57 pm

I like the idea but wonder about few things...

What is limit for number of additional threads or all threads (required+additional) that that can be woven?
Thread Weaving rank?

If we speak about Enhanced Matrix I assume that type and effect of additional thread is chosen during placing the spell in the Matrix and cannot be changing in other way than reattuning the spell in Matrix again. Am I correct?

If additional thread allows for multitargeting does it mean that two (or more) effects could be placed on one target or each additional thread have to refer to another target?

What would be the Difficulty Number for casting such spells? What about the Spellcasting process? One roll on Spellcasting and then comparising the number with MD of each target what could ends that some target would be affected and some don't or the "all or nothing" rule here? Or maybe separate rolls for each target? Does the difficulty number raise somehow for additional targets? Does effect will be rolled once or separate for each target?

What about Strain and Karma for casting such spells?

I would be happy if I get answer from designer ;)

Panda

Postby Panda » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:40 pm

Without giving too much away, let's see what I can do.

There is a limit to the number of extra threads and it is unrelated to the number of required threads.

Re: Enhanced matrices: That is correct.

I'm not certain I understand the question. However, here is an example that may illustrate what you are asking: You cast a spell with an extra thread for an additional target and one to increase the effect. A single Spellcasting test is made against both targets and the increased effect is applied to the spell, not to individual targets, thus each target is on the receiving end of the increased effect. From there, however, each effect test is a separate test and Willforce (if applicable) must be paid for and used individually.

That should cover everything as best it can be at this time.
Earthdawn Developer and I have a gaming , though, let's face it, it is really an Earthdawn blog which also happens to have some reviews.

Roth

Postby Roth » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:15 pm

This has potential to be great, but at the same time to be a disaster.

sirserafin

Postby sirserafin » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:36 pm

Thanks, Panda. Most things are clear now.

But still - can magician target one target multiple times? If not - why? (I don't like the idea of multiple effect on one target but like to know the reason)

Does the magician have to see (or sense) all the targets (or any) during thread weaving or can just thread next threads just wondering one or more targets appear at some point (or just stand behind the tree or corner of the building) and then make Spellcasting test (and big boom in effect)?

Return to “Product Discussion”