New update -- Creatures!

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Telarus_KSC
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: New update -- Creatures!

Postby Telarus_KSC » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:38 pm

Roth
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Roth » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:05 pm

RSTilton

Postby RSTilton » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:48 am

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, still some editing to do as far as troop/troupe. I always thought a troop of apes was a troupe, like actors, but they're a troop like military. So I might have missed some after that discovery.

The Silverback is a bit slower (lower Dex, thus lower PD) that's how I derived that number.

Numbers I hope will be fully disseminated closer to launch as well.

Any time you modify something too much, yes, it can easily become either too weak or too difficult for the reward. Which is why Gamemasters are there in truth. The Gamemaster may have intended for a creature to be a minor challenge, but when it nearly kills half the party, he can make the decision to give a higher legend point award.

Slimcreeper, you have an excellent point, if a creature is the only one to have a given power, that power shouldn't be listed as a creature power, but in the rules section of said creature.

There should be a couple of new non-mundane creatures that are in the Gamemaster's Guide, On is the Ago'thra (the name I came up with for the Ago'stra created construct that is similar to the Jehuthra.) I use the Ago'thra as an example of tweaking a Standard Horror Construct and giving it a different theme.

There might be variations of the Firehawk, which are based upon a different element for example.

Basically, I want to give GMs the tools they need to create amazing and unique Tales worthy of the Great Library of Throal, rather than having the same creatures regurgitated over and over.

RSTilton

Postby RSTilton » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:39 am

Kasbak

Postby Kasbak » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:51 am

The pack rules as you described are exactly how I have run that situation in the past. I haven't encountered any problems with it, and I think my players appreciate the easier time it gives them as well. It especially helps with overkill damage. To use your example, when an attack deals 30 damage to the pack, it takes out two members rather than making one extra dead. I see no reason for this not to happen with a large group of smaller creatures, and makes throwing more daunting numbers more pheasible.

Utsukushi

Postby Utsukushi » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:29 pm

RSTilton

Postby RSTilton » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:52 am

The swarm rules are in sort of worked into the Blood Wasp description. 3rd edition, pg. 159.

The more targets three different attack/damage ratings based upon whether they are attacking 1, 2, or 3 targets.

RSTilton

Postby RSTilton » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:56 am

RSTilton

Postby RSTilton » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:28 am

How does this work for everyone for a Swarm Mask, is it understandable? (Might have missed something, thi is the last post before bed.)

Swarm Mask
A Swarm is dozens of tiny creatures, from small insects to the size of a large rat. The creatures attack en masse, usually in a defensive fury or as a hunger driven frenzy. A Swarm moves over a creature to attack, individual creatures don’t do a lot of damage but so many creatures have the power to overwhelm even a mighty troll.

For each Swarm Rank the swarm has, it will have an attack, and its Death rating will be increased by TOUx6. The swarm covers 1 two yard hex for each Swarm rank. The Wound Rating will remain the same, each wound caused on the swarm will reduce the Swarm Rank by 1. A Swarm does not have an Unconscious rating. A Swarm is vulnerable to fire.

A Swarm is noted with the following power: Swarm (3) This is a swarm that has 3 attacks and covers 3 hexes (6 yards).

shiinx

Postby shiinx » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:17 am

Some questions:
- why is a swarm especially vulnerable to fire? What does this even imply in game mechanics? Shouldn't it rather be vulnerable to area-of-effect attacks?
- from the description it sounds that swarm creatures will be hard to hit (at least without hitting the person they are swarming). Will this be reflected in their Physical Defense, and in a rule to hit the swarmed characters?
- as a large swarm occupies several hexes, can you split them into multiple swarms? (only position wise, not game mechanic wise)
- can a swarm only use as many attacks on a single character as it occupies hexes adjacent to him?
- why TOUx6 ? This sounds rather arbitray. Why not just multiply the Death Rating with the Swarm Rank?

Return to “Product Discussion”