Swordmaster Preview!

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
kosmit

Re: Swordmaster Preview!

Postby kosmit » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:52 am

Imagine making Threadweaving a Simple Action... But additional threads could be weaved in the same round only as bonus granted from high result level...
Duvvelsheyss

Roth
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Roth » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:36 pm

Telarus_KSC
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Telarus_KSC » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:42 pm

shiinx

Postby shiinx » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:43 am

Panda

Postby Panda » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:55 am

To be clear, as of right now there aren't any talents which are also Interaction tests. Maybe there will be in the future, or maybe there will be Knacks. I just didn't want to rule out any possibilities. Also, there is no rule that forbids spending two Karma on a test if you have two different sources. Two different Karma abilities from a discipline (or multiple disciplines) count as one source, just so we're all clear. Talent + discipline Karma = 2 Karma. This has been pretty consistent across the editions.
Earthdawn Developer and I have a gaming , though, let's face it, it is really an Earthdawn blog which also happens to have some reviews.

Roth

Postby Roth » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:04 am

Heretikzer0

Postby Heretikzer0 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:08 am

I've never played a swordmaster as a PC before (i know le'gasp!) but that write up definitely has me wanting to try one now. :lol:
Heretikzer0
Earthdawn Enthusiast
http://earthdawnadepts.blogspot.com/

Lys

Postby Lys » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:05 am

Panda

Postby Panda » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:15 am

You are correct, I wrote that wrong. Apologies.
Earthdawn Developer and I have a gaming , though, let's face it, it is really an Earthdawn blog which also happens to have some reviews.

Lys

Postby Lys » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:28 am

It's okay, I was just checking!

You know, on the subject of the preview, I'm kind of sad that the effect of Manoeuvre is being changed. Giving up your standard action for a solid bonus on your next turn always seemed like a fair trade to me, and the combination of Manoeuvre, Anticipate Blow, and Aggressive Stance is a great way to deliver absolutely brutal attacks with relatively little defensive trade-off. It was a really great trick for the usually damage deficient Swordmasters that is balanced by the need to give up an action to set it up, as well as get higher initiative to take advantage of Anticipate Blow, plus the chance that it will fail. The only real problem I had with Manoeuvre is that it only affected the first attack in your action, which meant that starting at Circle 5 you'd be giving up two attacks to get a bonus on one. I always thought it made for sense for Manoeuvre to give a bonus to all attacks in your next action, which allowed it to stay effective as you went up the circles.

Also I'd like to echo the idea that First Impression being only one use per person ever, and even then only when you first meet, is unnecessarily limiting. Moreover, it doesn't really make any sense with the way the talent works. If First Impression caused a permanent improvement in attitude then maybe I could see the justification for only being able to use it once per person, but it doesn't, it wears off after a day or two. In that way it's little different than making an impression with a Charisma or Artisan Skill test, but those aren't limited to only once ever. The talent's effect is simply not in line with its limitation.

Return to “Product Discussion”