Swordmaster Preview!

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Danger
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Swordmaster Preview!

Postby Danger » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:34 pm

peterjk3
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby peterjk3 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:47 pm

Like what I see here. Good changes. Only ever played 1st, what are Novice and journeyman talent options?

Tattered Rags

Postby Tattered Rags » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:08 pm

Danger

Postby Danger » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:06 am

Danger

Postby Danger » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:38 am

Okay, my two cents on the whole discipline: Overall, I like it. In some ways, the Swordmasters always felt like the weakest of the Big 3. I don't immediately get that feeling from looking at this write up, but I'd have to see the other two frontline melee disciplines to get a better comparison. This has a nice overall theme, and I'm happy to see the return of Gliding Stride to a melee class.*

I didn't mind Swordmasters having Surprise Strike, as it was a good damage add for them, and it always struck me as more of a precision thing than a sneaky thing. I suppose you could simply rename it Precise Strike...

*I sincerely hope the Warrior gets Gliding Stride back. I used to always describe Warriors as "samuraiesque," with their strong code of honor. Gliding Stride completed the image by providing the Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon flying combat.

etherial

Postby etherial » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:24 am

Panda

Postby Panda » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:54 am

I will field some of the questions that haven't been answered already.

Riposte works as it does in 3E - DEX + Rank as an active defense against an attack; if you score an additional success on your test (get 5 over), that test becomes an Attack test against the target.

Tiger Spring and Cobra Strike stack.

Second Attack and Second Weapon can both be used in the same round.

Spot Armor Flaw is still a simple action.

The requirements around Surprise Strike have always been shady at best. Spot Armor Flaw is essentially the ability to perform a "Precise Strike".

Danger, no need to apologize for using my formatting. It's all up there to be freely taken and used as any reader sees fit.

I think that about covers it for now.
Earthdawn Developer and I have a gaming , though, let's face it, it is really an Earthdawn blog which also happens to have some reviews.

Sundahk

Postby Sundahk » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:52 am

Can someone clarify how Maneuver works now? I read elsewhere that it's changing to a Simple Action. So does that mean you can make a Melee Weapons roll in the same round that you make your Maneuver test?
ie Rnd 1Maneuver test + normal Melee Weapons test; Rnd 2 (if not hit by opponent) Melee Weapons Step with Maneuver Rank added on. Is that right?

Panda

Postby Panda » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:57 am

That is half correct, it is a simple action. However, the exact effects of Maneuver are not the same.
Earthdawn Developer and I have a gaming , though, let's face it, it is really an Earthdawn blog which also happens to have some reviews.

Sundahk

Postby Sundahk » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:41 am

Ah okay. Maneuver is another Swordmasterr Talent considered to be a signature Talent but largely ignored by my players over the years because it meant sacrificing a Standard action (I can hear spellcasters yelling: "now you know how we feel about Threadweaving"!"). If Maneuver is to remain a Discipline Talent it would be good to know the exact role it will play in the Swordmaster's arsenal :)

Return to “Product Discussion”