Let's Talk About Forge

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Tanthalas
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Let's Talk About Forge

Postby Tanthalas » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:13 pm

Ah, you're right. I had misunderstood what you wrote and misunderstood what the official line was.

I see now what you are saying, a week of forging to get a +1 on a weapon is a bit steep (though with success levels that could pretty easily be a +3). It would take close to a month for a party of 4 to get +1 on each of their weapons. If it only required two hours of work a day for a week it would only take a week to get each party member their +1.

I think there is a bit of a disconnect if you say that it only takes '2 hours a day for seven days' I think players would want to try to push it to get it done in a few days and argue that their two hours should be able to be done consecutively. It seems kind of a weird limit to say you can only work on the weapon for two hours today and then you must wait to tomorrow. Feels almost like one of those phone apps where you have to pay to play.

But I'm going off on a tangent, I think a better solution would be to say that a Weaponsmith could work on [RANK] number of weapons at a time and make a forge weapon roll for each of them at the end of his week of forging. That would make a Weaponsmith with rank 10 Forge Weapons capable of working ten weapons at once. I think this idea works conceptually as well because it shows that the Weaponsmith CAN do the forging faster as he gets better, but he still needs to wait to stoke the flames, wait for the metal to heat up, and etc..
I'm one of the Legends of Barsaive guys. Questions? Comments? Concerns? Bawdy Jokes? PM me!

Telarus_KSC
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Telarus_KSC » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:18 pm

How about the option to knock a day off the total for a Success Level (instead of the extra +1)?

This could be mixed and matched, too, so a 4 Success Forge Weapon test could give the blade a +1 in 2 days, a +2 in 3 days, a +3 in 4 days, or a +4 over a 5 day week.

sirserafin

Postby sirserafin » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:38 pm

"What do you mean I should push the process, boy?! It's a ritual! You say you have no time? So take this piece of metal and don't bother me! Goodbye!"

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:42 pm

Last edited by Telarus_KSC on Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

etherial

Postby etherial » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:14 pm

sirserafin

Postby sirserafin » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:42 pm

Tanthalas

Postby Tanthalas » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:03 pm

I'm one of the Legends of Barsaive guys. Questions? Comments? Concerns? Bawdy Jokes? PM me!

Panda

Postby Panda » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:13 pm

My suggestion would be to increase the Difficulty by +5 for each day you want to reduce the time, to a minimum of <mumbles> days. That preserves the basic simplicity and premise, while also not changing the fundamental nature of the ritual. You're rushing things and taking some shortcuts - which means it is more likely to go wrong.
Earthdawn Developer and I have a gaming , though, let's face it, it is really an Earthdawn blog which also happens to have some reviews.

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:52 pm

Much better mechanical implementation of the idea, thanks guys.

Sundahk

Postby Sundahk » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:50 pm

Return to “Product Discussion”