Let's Talk About Forge

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Kasbak

Re: Let's Talk About Forge

Postby Kasbak » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:21 pm

If it helps, in the games I've been involved with, we set it up so that a character could do double 8 hour actions every other day. It can't be done every day due to skipping meals and not having enough energy to keep up the sustained magical activity. Mostly this is used for getting in multiple meditations. This would allow justification for doing some meditations along with a Forging in progress, but couldn't have two Forges going at the same time (assuming that becomes an issue).

Sundahk
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Sundahk » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:02 pm

etherial
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby etherial » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:45 pm

Dougansf

Postby Dougansf » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:45 pm

Obviously the Throalic calendar brought us the weekend. :lol:

I liked the elegance of ED3, where it was all based on weapon size. I built an excel sheet to do the calculations quick for Forging or Crafting. But if the max bonus is only based off of Rank (which like better to keep the Talent useful) then I think it makes sense to have the time of work be the same too. Because getting a +15 dagger in 15 days would be gross.

Sundahk has a point that being more clear on the time needed in hours would be helpful. Similar to the Circle Advancement timeframe (40 hours in 3 weeks)?
My weaponsmith usually did 9 hours of work a day: 8 Forge, 1 Item history.

kosmit

Postby kosmit » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:01 pm

Forging a dagger will take the same amount of time as forging two-hand sword? That's a bit rough :(
Duvvelsheyss

Utsukushi

Postby Utsukushi » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:41 pm

From what Mataxes has written, though, it seems it's being firmly framed as a ritual, not just a crafting process.

Panda

Postby Panda » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:24 pm

That is correct. The process is more important than the weapon. In the end, this should make it simpler since there is no longer figuring how long it will take based on size. The test also allows for each success to add an improvement, up to the maximum.
Earthdawn Developer and I have a gaming , though, let's face it, it is really an Earthdawn blog which also happens to have some reviews.

daedalron

Postby daedalron » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:44 am

The problem, with it being the same time whatever the kind of weapon, is for dual-wielders. They'd need twice the time to get their weapons forged. It's therefore better for a character to use two-handed weapons than to dual wield. Giving an advantage here to two-handed over dual wielding is not a big problem, but dual wielding should get an advantage on other situations, to make it a real choice of the player, and not something they are forced to choose due to the system.
Dual weapons already require more from the players (getting the 2 weapons, more legend points for the threads to weave, ...). If they're also harder to forge, you need to make sure they get something in exchange to make this kind of fighting a viable choice.

Slimcreeper

Postby Slimcreeper » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:59 am

I've heard this before; that at high levels everyone has to switch to 2-handed weapons. How does that play out? And is it just one person who's opinion I've read enough times that I think it is more than one person? (Always a risk!)

Panda

Postby Panda » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:12 am

I've heard the occasionally, but have never seen it supported in play. It's a 3-damage swing between equivalent one-handed and two-handed weapons. Against incredibly high armor targets, that could be the difference between 1 and 4 points of damage. However, against a more moderately armored target, it may be more like 9 and 12 per attack. The second weapon will always give you a little more versatility in dealing with opponents because a second attack is, well, a second attack. Two-handed characters have all of their eggs in one very big basket, which also requires more significant Strength outlay as a beginning character.

Truthfully, in 3E the characters that were able to abuse this were Tail dancers using a two-handed sword and of the c'thard style. The could use Second Weapon, Swift Kick and Tail Dancing with their tail and their normal attack, Second Attack and Air Dance with their two-handed sword. Madness.
Earthdawn Developer and I have a gaming , though, let's face it, it is really an Earthdawn blog which also happens to have some reviews.

Return to “Product Discussion”