Renaming Direction Sense

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Tattered Rags
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Renaming Direction Sense

Postby Tattered Rags » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:59 am

Tattered Rags
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Renaming Direction Sense

Postby Tattered Rags » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:00 am

For my part, I'm going to give my own opinions on the above, but I won't do an exhaustive review. The idea is to narrow the field down to the ones we all really like. I hope no one takes offense to any negative criticisms I present, and I expect that none of you will hold back on doing the same to my own ideas (I certainly won't). Just, you know, be clinical and not insulting.

I'd personally steer away from anything with the word "Sense". First, it's not actually accurate as the talent visually shows you the direction (unless that has changed; I don't actually have anything after 1E). I'm aware that SIGHT is a sense, but that's not what is usually implied by the term in this usage. Second, I just don't like it; it feels wrong to me. That's most likely because Mataxes is wanting a replacement for "Direction Sense".

On the flip side, I really like "Mystic" anything, though my preference is "Mystic Trail" and "Mystic Hunt". I also like the word "Quarry", but I don't like "Mystic Quarry"; that gives me the impression of the quarry being mystic.

"Dowsing" is the most accurate term I've seen thrown out there with respect to real-world terminology. This power is literally one aspect of dowsing. However, it's too confused with the most common understanding of dowsing, which is to find water (though historically dowsing has been "used" to "find" such things as coal, gems, oil, and so on). It could effectively serve as the name of an Elementalist Talent or spell used to find True Elements or specific things relating to elementalism, such as "cold things", I don't know, why am I still typing? More on dowsing later.

"Floranuus' Guidance" is fantastic, but sounds like a Questor power. I like "Guidance", but will just have to figure out if anything needs to be added to it. It's actually a pretty great name by itself.

"Location Ritual" is simple, but good. I think this idea fits the general naming conventions of some of the other Talents the best (Avoid Blow, Great Leap, etc.). It says what it does, more or less. You don't get the exact location, but it does point you to it.

"Chase" kind of works, but the Talent doesn't actually chase. It points you in the right direction, and you then give chase. I think "Mark" is flat out wrong since the Talent doesn't mark. "Hunter", particularly "Hunter's Instinct", has a nice ring. Instinct suffers from the same problem as Sense. The Talent is not in the Adept's head but physically in front of them. "Track Down", maybe, I kind of like it, though I'm not 100%.

Tattered Rags

Postby Tattered Rags » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:00 am

Tattered Rags

Postby Tattered Rags » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:24 am

Well, another idea hit me when I should really be sleeping.

This Talent uses something called Sympathetic Magic, whereby you have to have a piece of the target to actually use it.

Sympathetic Direction
Sympathetic Guidance
Mystic Sympathy
Finding Sympathy - haha, okay, that one was a joke

These aren't really that good, but maybe someone else can use them better.

Kasbak

Postby Kasbak » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:51 am

Heck, maybe we could work out a deal to call it 'Garmin' and get some advertising revenue. :D

kosmit

Postby kosmit » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:41 am

Mystic Guidance is jest choice imo. :)
Duvvelsheyss

Tattered Rags

Postby Tattered Rags » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:54 am

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:22 am

Welcome to the forums, Tattered Rags!
Last edited by Telarus_KSC on Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Utsukushi

Postby Utsukushi » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:43 am

Wow... that's quite a set of posts, Rags! I laughed, I cried... I learned about belomancy. (The science part of technomancy comes from the `techno' side.)

You seem to have this well in hand, actually, arguing from like six sides at once, so I'm not at all convinced you need the rest of us jumping in. But... I think I like "Locate Quarry", or perhaps "Seek Quarry", best so far. Talents generally have Names that pretty much say what they do, and those seem to do that.

(Location Ritual just sounds like a ritual that you do, er, somewhere, to me, and since almost all rituals are probably performed in a location, it didn't read to me as doing what Direction Sense does. "I Found It" would totally work if this were T&T! Take That, You Fiend! Hehe)

...Direction Sense should be a Knack for this Talent, though - sometimes, just the ability to know which way is North can be very important.

Tattered Rags

Postby Tattered Rags » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:05 pm

Return to “Product Discussion”