Renaming Direction Sense

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Tattered Rags
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Renaming Direction Sense

Postby Tattered Rags » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:12 pm

Wow, I did come up with Locate Quarry. Dumb me. Tells you what the difference between before bed and after sleep means. I apparently like it better now.

Reveal Quarry - confusing with illusion, but it's technically correct
Point to Quarry - lame
Pinpoint Quarry
Indicate Quarry - by utilizing my talent I shall indicate the bearing to which we must head in order that we may establish contact with our quarry
Finger Quarry - no -- just, no
That-A-Way - well, this is how I'll refer to it even if it's not the official name
Point the Way - oddly, this isn't terrible; not great, but not terrible

Edit: added ideas to avoid post inflation

Utsukushi
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Utsukushi » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:36 pm

Um, yeah... I got it off your list. I thought it was interesting that it was one of the only ones you didn't have a follow-up comment for.

"Reveal Quarry" sounds like it shows a picture of them - like a scrying pool or crystal ball. Point The Way actually isn't bad, but it sounds more like the Path Home spell, or Clairvoyance in Skyrim -- like it should just point the way you should go, and not towards a target like this.

I'm going to stand by your original suggestion of Locate Quarry.

Actually, I take that back. I'm going to go hide behind the couch, and see if it can find me...

Slimcreeper

Postby Slimcreeper » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:52 pm

Quarry? Why are so many people looking for rocks?

Tattered Rags

Postby Tattered Rags » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:04 pm

kosmit

Postby kosmit » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:34 pm

Maybe we will just name it Localize? All those names like Point the Way seems cathayan...
Duvvelsheyss

Nahor

Postby Nahor » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:52 pm

Locate Quarry is good. You could simplify it and go with Locate.

What about Beacon? While I realize that usually means you're following something the quarry has to lead you and that something is on them, but in a way it still works b/c you have a piece of them as the description of the talent says.

I like Dowsing too, or you could go with what the stick is called, a Divining Rod, and name the talent Divine Location.

Augur might be worth a shot, more of the noun bit than the verb even though you are committing to the verb part of the word I suppose through use of the talent. Anyway that's just semantics. :)

Ultimately just break what the talent does. It helps you find the general direction of where someone, or something, or even someplace is provided you have a piece of that one, thing, or place. So you're literally divining the location or at least divining the direction. So maybe Divine Direction? Most people like a good set of double d's. Heh heh. :)

Stormcrow

Postby Stormcrow » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:50 pm

Tattered Rags

Postby Tattered Rags » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:54 pm

Kasbak

Postby Kasbak » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:57 pm

Beacon spingboarded me to Homing Beacon as a suggestion. Granted, this generally has more tech/sci fi connotations to it, but it fits the description.

Following the 'direction' portion, you could also go with something like Mystic Compass. Internal Compass could work, but that would conflict with keeping the same narrative as Direction Arrow for the Archer.

If it's giving a straight direction regardless of obstacles, you could go with the old saying of As The Crow Flies. Or fantasy it up a bit to As The Dragon Flies (though that may make it sound a bit cooler than its actual effect).

By the way, I apologize ahead of time if any of these already came up anywhere that I missed.

Dougansf

Postby Dougansf » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:59 pm

I was all for Mystic Tracking, until you pointed out that it wasn't a Sustained action (which it totally should be).

How about Triangulation Trick? For alliteration if nothing else. :lol:

Return to “Product Discussion”