Eleventh Hour Preview: Wizard

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Stormcrow
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Eleventh Hour Preview: Wizard

Postby Stormcrow » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:44 pm

@tattered rags

Hi,

I appreciate the amount of thought you have put into these suggestions but i believe there are 2 huge problems with them. You've basically suggested all matrixes are shared ones and described quite a few rules to try and contain the problems that may occur because of it however...

1. Magicians in ed aren't limited by how many times they can cast a spell or how many spells they can cast in a set period of time. To balance this they are limited in how many they have available at one time and how long it takes to cast them. If your proposals were followed it would all but remove the first of these limitations. Once they got enhanced matrices the second limitation would also be severely reduced. In short this would severely mess with game balance.

2. Splitting spells and the other rules you propose are very complicated. More complications should only be introduced if they are necessary and in this case i believe it will cause more problems than they are worth.

I'm not saying your solutions are not interesting i just personally do not they they are the right way to go. There will and should be a fairly restrictive amount of matrices available to magicians as they have no downside compared to the other forms of casting.

My own opinion is to look at why people feel they do not have a choice if a matrix is a talent option because it i simply not true that a mage needs to take it. There are a variety of ways that a mage can get extra matrices: matrix objects, familiars and thread items come to mind. Additonally they have 2 ways to can cast spells without them raw magic and grimoire casting. They are not as good but they work. Perhaps they need to be revised.

If the problem is with the theory in that you don't feel they are talent-y enough, then the only real solution would be to remove them from the talent options list, give starting mages 2 matrices, at later circles instead of an ability they could get a new matrix. Then if they want more they would have to use one of the alternative routes. I don't agree with messing with game balance by removing the limitations on spellcasting so easily. This also applies to the knacks idea to some extent.

My point is a matrix as a talent option is a choice once you have enough to be functional (2). Your choice is to reduce a limitation more easily or get a cool new trick. If the tricks are not cool enough or the alternative ways of reducing the limitation are not accessible or attractive enough that's something that should be addressed. However, you won't fix a problem by giving mages lots of matrices, you will just ensure that other interesting choices such as grimoire casting are never or hardly ever used in the game.

Utsukushi
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Utsukushi » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:05 pm

Raw Casting is an option in the world, but in the game, it's really not. Maybe in one of those awesome Sacrificing Your Character To Save The Village type scenes, but generally, just no; nobody does it, except occasionally in really Safe areas, which in turn usually means you're in "Downtime", so again, not really part of the game.

I agree with you absolutely about the importance of keeping the current limitations on spellcasting, and on what they are. Though I don't see how the Knacks idea doesn't preserve it -- that's a lot of why I like it so much, I think it preserves those limits exactly. It just moves the Matrices a half-step out of the Talent tree.

But... yes, Rags has sort of talked them around to being big Shared Matrices, but what he started with was the idea that the Spell Matrix Talent could be not, itself, a Matrix - but rather, your ability to create them.

Which is pretty awesome, and doesn't have to damage anything. It fits the current flavor text better than the way they've been handled so far, and doesn't require pulling a heretofor "Advanced" mechanic into the core system (be it Threadweaving/Pattern mechanics or Knacks.) It just needs some figuring out.

Sundahk

Postby Sundahk » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:10 pm

etherial

Postby etherial » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:28 pm

Tattered Rags

Postby Tattered Rags » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:54 pm

Tattered Rags

Postby Tattered Rags » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:22 am

Sundahk

Postby Sundahk » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:12 am

j0hn

Postby j0hn » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:20 am

daedalron

Postby daedalron » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:20 am

For matrices, we have a houserule in our games. Magicians get only one matrix talent for each type. This talent also gives them the ability to create other matrix of this type. So for example, once a magician learns Enhanced Matrix, he get one enhanced matrix of the talent level, and can for some LP create other enhanced matrices if he wants to, or not.
There's a limit to how many matrices he can craft, though (to avoid a player crafting as many matrices as he wants). A player can craft a total of 11 matrices (all types), and he can have no more than 5 normal matrices, 3 enhanced ones, 3 armored ones, 3 shared ones. With this, the magician has a choice. He can choose to limit himself in his first circles, so that he can get as many special matrices as possible, or he can get more normal matrices to have a little more comfort, but then he won't have access to all the special matrices.

Tattered Rags

Postby Tattered Rags » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:27 am

Return to “Product Discussion”