Fourth Edition Preview -- A whole lot of talents

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
j0hn
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Fourth Edition Preview -- A whole lot of talents

Postby j0hn » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:35 pm

Not a fan of the changes to maneuver, mystic aim, and flame arrow. Talents don't need to be used every round in order to be worthwhile.

Maneuver was one of the talents that mechanically expressed the thematic difference between the swordmaster and the warrior. No, it didn't get used every round, or even every combat, but it saw enough play at my table to remain interesting, and when needed, it was a very strong defensive option.

Flame arrow needed some work, admittedly. My solution was to have it test vs mystic armor. That made it useful enough to be very strong against certain foes, but not an every round, every combat ability.

Similarly, mystic aim saw quite a bit of use at my table, particularly against high defense, or high armor targets.

This shift away from situational abilities is one of the biggest flaws in design since RB took over imo. There have been many changes that seem to want to homogenize the gameplay among the disciplines, and I really don't like this trend. Making every ability useful every combat just removes tactical decisions from the players-- spam everything ya got til you drop or the baddy does. This is far less interesting to me than some of the tactical decisions we have lost since 1e.

That said, I like most of the other talent changes so far. I had already added awareness to my game, although I'm not a fan of the thief-only trapfinding aspect. I don't like my players to feel penalized for not playing a particular discipline, and it also doesn't make much sense to me that a super perceptive guy of whatever discipline can't spot the trap regardless of how well he rolls.

I like enhance animal companion quite a lot. I had actually created a thread item to accomplish the same thing, so it's cool that the discipline will be able to cover this on their own now.

Forge weapon seems scary, though with the removal of AD hits, it may work out. (I'm not sold on the removal of AD hits yet. It seems to vastly increase the value of armor, which hurts the dexy twf dagger wielder far more than the big 2h axe troll, who already had a rather large advantage.)

Panda

Postby Panda » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:43 am

Earthdawn Developer and I have a gaming , though, let's face it, it is really an Earthdawn blog which also happens to have some reviews.

Danger
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Danger » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:07 am

Danger

Postby Danger » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:22 am

Last edited by Danger on Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Danger

Postby Danger » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:41 am

Last edited by Danger on Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

DruidNei

Postby DruidNei » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:31 am

No changes to Taunt / Battle Shout? In our playgroup we always felt that those two talents were a bit too powerful especially on high circles. Battle Shout giving up to -15 to all actions, including defensive talents is nearly equivalent to "no active defence" part of Cobra Strike.

Panda

Postby Panda » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:45 am

Taunt was based on Result Level in 3E and is now based on successes in 4E. Battle Shout seems to have been overlooked in the preview.
Earthdawn Developer and I have a gaming , though, let's face it, it is really an Earthdawn blog which also happens to have some reviews.

Etorian

Postby Etorian » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:49 am

What ever became of battle bellow? I liked the idea of an area effect taunt but I wanted it for the troubadour. Distracting an audience kind of thing.

Battle bellow in 1st ed was too much being no action.

Roth

Postby Roth » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:11 pm

Kasbak

Postby Kasbak » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:04 pm

Return to “Product Discussion”