Fourth Edition Preview -- A whole lot of talents

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Tattered Rags
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Fourth Edition Preview -- A whole lot of talents

Postby Tattered Rags » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:40 am

peterjk3
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby peterjk3 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:23 am

Not to mention, there is a problem with the line of thinking that you can win every fight. A nice GM tool is to throw something nasty at the party to make them run away for one reason or the other. To a undiscovered Kaer, to the passion Garlen for healing and a mission, setting up an epic campaign where a NPC, horror or dragon is dogging your PC's or whatever you want. Sometimes despite how powerful an enemy is the PC's will not run away because they are not afraid of you. If they know you won't kill them they become more reckless. As long as you are willing to work with them on setting up with a new character with the comparable legend who cares if you break an egg or five. Its more work for you than them. Also PC's do stupid things and sometimes deserve to die. You taunt a horror, you kinda have it coming. You open a chest to fast because you want to steal an item in it before the rest of the group sees it, and a trap kills you. That's Karma. Even the Passion Mynbruje would agree with me there. Not to mention there are items that bring you back from the dead. So as long as you aren't killing Circle 1's they all have access to Last Chance Salve and its not my fault it 2 throwing knives are more important than not dying. All that being said maybe you guys play with a lot of like minded players. My group is good but every once in awhile someone shows up with something off and acts the fool. Not always same person either. So a proven willingness to kill is a set of checks and balances, so they come in and wreck your scenario they may die.

bigity

Postby bigity » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:23 am

Agreed with alot of folks. I hardly ever pulled punches on PCs of any game unless it was just a horrible streak of luck, and not always even then.

I never liked games with the same characters for years and years - characters in most RPG games are doing incredibly dangerous things - sometimes they die. Sometimes because the bad guy was better, and sometimes because they do questionable or risky things.

In the Air Force we had a AD&D group going for a few years, and we had a new guy join the group when he arrived at the base. His character tried to go toe to toe with a wraith with cleric levels from his previous life, and died. He got extremely upset because that was the first character he had ever had die.

Roth

Postby Roth » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:37 am

Tanthalas

Postby Tanthalas » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:52 pm

I'm one of the Legends of Barsaive guys. Questions? Comments? Concerns? Bawdy Jokes? PM me!

j0hn

Postby j0hn » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:05 pm

Roth

Postby Roth » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:10 pm

Stormcrow

Postby Stormcrow » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:08 pm

I got around this issue in one of my campaigns because it's premise was Death seeking release. I let the players die from bad dice rolls but then when each entered Death's realm, he returned them as his undead servants to seek a particular object to enable him to escape. When they eventually retireved the object they had to decide to return it to him or risk placing it somewhere out of reach and gain his eternal enmity.

Flowswithdrek

Postby Flowswithdrek » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:49 pm

Spader

Postby Spader » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:37 am

It's hard not to agree with everyone.

I don't like it when my PCs die just because my dice exploded. Often, they are key character in the story arc and having them removed by "random encounter" if I can say so, can make a problem for the continuity of the story.

On the other hand, I don't want my player to feel that I'm protecting them from "pointless death".

So I use a game mechanic to achieve both. At the start of the campaign, I gave my players a pool of "fate points". One per player.
Spending one Fate Point will nullify any roll that kills a character (or their animal companion).
But there is two exceptions: 1) It cannot be used with a boss-like opponent. 2) My dice MUST have exploded. Oh and 3) All players must agree to spend the said point.

I have not think of a way to renew the pool and don't think I will.

My game runs for about 8 months and I'm pretty satisfied with this house rule.

Return to “Product Discussion”