ED4 Talents and Progression

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
etherial
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: ED4 Talents and Progression

Postby etherial » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:19 am

Roth
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Roth » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:53 am

Etorian

Postby Etorian » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:02 pm

I'm unfamiliar with "Action Dice!" would someone expand on that for me? I'm not following... :(

etherial

Postby etherial » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:18 pm

Etorian

Postby Etorian » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:24 pm

Ok, just making sure I wasn't missing a mechanic that had been added. You're probably right. Thanks!

Notaure

Postby Notaure » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:07 pm

Notaure, a french fan of Earthdawn

Kasbak

Postby Kasbak » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:54 pm

With regard to casters and matricies in optional Talents; you can always just have them pick up or make Matrix items to get their matricies that way. If the concern becomes taking up Thread slots (usually not as much of a problem for casters since they don't typically use Thread weapons), you can just play looser with counting those toward the total. The only real hassle at that point is hanging on to all your objects. I played an Elementalist once that even got around that. He wove True Elements into tattoo ink so that he could enchant it with a matrix, then tattooed the ink into his skin. IIRC, he had a spell matrix in each arm, an Enhanced Matrix on his head (he was bald), and an Armored Matrix on his chest.

etherial

Postby etherial » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:01 pm

Kcinlive

Postby Kcinlive » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:09 pm

One thing I don't understand, and never understood for that matter, is why is there a different version of threadweaving for each discipline? I mean what's the point? How are they different? I admit I'm an Earthdawn novice, what have I missed?

For that matter why are spell matrices different for each caster class? Again, why bother? To make it a bit harder to have multiple disciplines?

Sorry if this is kind of off topic,

-Kcinlive

Tanthalas

Postby Tanthalas » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:14 pm

Mechanically I think there is two purposes. Firstly, leveling up the thread weaving of another discipline is a legend point sink, as you mentioned. Secondly, you can only weave threads for spells if you have a threadweaving of the correct type. This prevents a human with versatility snagging a matrix and casting spells no matter his discipline, he would also need to pick up the correct weaving at least.

As far as fluff goes, the thread weaving talent represents the disciplines ties with magic and the world around them. This is a deeply personal thing and the lens of your discipline has a huge impact on that perception. I always felt that it was a really good rule call.
I'm one of the Legends of Barsaive guys. Questions? Comments? Concerns? Bawdy Jokes? PM me!

Return to “Product Discussion”