Questions about Travar, Elven Nations, Questors, & Metaplot

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
EDChronicler
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Questions about Travar, Elven Nations, Questors, & Metap

Postby EDChronicler » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:34 pm

Its not really mentioned by specification, its honestly more because I've done some research into similar setups. You'd be surprised how many cities start up because people don't like something about a neighboring city or to avoid "city taxes" create a community outside city limits, but close enough to go into the city for what they need.

Where I live we have an area called "The Foothills" and there have been many attempts by the city to expand and claim, but most of the people that live in "The Foothills" fight tooth and nail not to be part of the city. And where I grew up there was a place called Tent City, now it did have real buildings not tents, but it was part of the county and a very low income rental property area. When the city expanded, they started heavily enforcing various codes and rules and forced the owner to sell, eventually it was torn down and stayed a vacant lot for many years and I've never been back to it to see if it was ever changed, but ... that's irrelevant to my point. These factors and knowledge of them color a lot of how I view a lot of these large and small cities.

But here, I'll give you some food for thought: Lets say a Travar Merchant setup a "Business Front" in Bartertown, he's got enough "economic power" to control an airship or two, and in his mind that store front is as much connected to him as his Travar business which is not part of Throal. How does Travar as a governing body view that, and how does Throal.

However, what if it was a Theran Merchant (lets overlook all the other issues with that idea for simplicity sake) How again would each see it, in relation to themselves.

Those two differences won't explain everything but will hopefully open a door into how separate, from Travar, Urupa, Throal, and any other market based town of whatever type, that Bartertown is, but that does not diminish the impact what happens there has with each of these items. But at the same time, would Travar go running to Throal and say "get control of your little footstool"? But if Travar sent say a "force" of some kind or a merchant of Travar did, How would Throal see it. The thing to remember is "Travar" and "Throal" are essentially Kingdoms, while Bartertown is just a city. That difference is a very big one.

Bartertown is its own entity and how each and every major kingdom sees and deals with it, will be complex and varied. But to be honest, I never found Throal itself a good "adventuring" base, same with Bartertown. Maybe I'll share my adventuring base with you guys someday, may have to talk to Mataxes and see if its worth attempting something worthwhile. We'll see. No Promises.

Unfortunately like you, in my early days, I just made it a "part" of Throal without ever really doing a Throal proper.

Oh and if you can't tell, I do overthink just about everything. And ask a lot of questions without actually giving any answers.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Product Discussion”