Questions about Travar, Elven Nations, Questors, & Metaplot

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Mataxes
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Questions about Travar, Elven Nations, Questors, & Metap

Postby Mataxes » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:32 pm

Great, like I don't have enough pressure already.
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Kasbak

Postby Kasbak » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:23 pm

Well, at least now you have a number to put on the amount of pressure you have. $110k worth of backers. Personally, I tend to find numbers comforting, but then I'm weird like that. :D

Don't despair though; you've got a great team to lean on, and an awesome community supporting the whole operation.

Utsukushi
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Utsukushi » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:45 pm

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:51 pm

You're not helping!

I need a drink.

( :D )
Josh Harrison --

EDChronicler

Postby EDChronicler » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:33 pm

etherial

Postby etherial » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:13 pm

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:39 pm

To address the initial question about metaplot and the timeline advancing through the supplements, that is something I would like to see continue. It is a tough line to walk in some respects -- you don't want the changes to be too heavy handed, because the potential is there to have the PCs play second fiddle, act as tourists on a theme park ride to see all the cool stuff but not be able to influence it in a significant way.

This was, I think, one of the big differences between Prelude to War from ED1 and Barsaive at War from ED2. The changes in Prelude were ones that couldn't really be diverted too much by PC action -- the landing of the Triumph and the death Varulus III were events that were hinted at, but did kind of drop in out of seemingly nowhere, it as the aftermath of these events that allowed the PCs to get involved. The founding of Cara Fahd was, likewise, an event that PCs could engage with, but not really divert.

I think the Second Theran War would have been developed in a similar manner under ED1; presenting some events that PCs could be a part of, perhaps offering some different possible outcomes based on certain things. But in the hands of LRG, some of their choices didn't make a lot of sense--nothing against them, I think it was a case of their reach exceeding their grasp.

In terms of where things will be going... I'll keep quiet about that for now.
Josh Harrison --

Derwyd

Postby Derwyd » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:55 pm

EDChronicler

Postby EDChronicler » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:28 pm

Utsukushi

Postby Utsukushi » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:03 pm

That makes sense, and is something I don't remember being talked about in the Throal book. (Though that's not one I've read as thoroughly as some, so I could have just missed it.) Just like in the real world, you can find places where you can buy things `off the books'.. but they're going to be small sellers. Bartertown doesn't have the restrictions Throal does, but you're not going to find wares from the big Merchant Houses there.

I need to think about that for how I run Bartertown... there should be solid reasons to actually go into Throal itself. I don't think I've ever actually had a character go past Bartertown and into Throal, as a player or as a GM. Hmmm...come to think of it, I think we'd almost forgotten Throal was there. Even the Great Library seems to have somehow worked out to have a door in Bartertown. That's not right. Argh!

(Maybe it's just an Annex. That would have made sense; the Great Library is savvy enough to set up an easier place for adventurers to get to, for dealing with those journals. Yeah, that works. Might even be canon. OK, crisis averted.)

Return to “Product Discussion”