A word from Morgan

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
kosmit

A word from Morgan

Postby kosmit » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:05 pm

http://www.fasagames.com/blog/?post_id= ... rom-morgan

That's great news. I love the way it's going (mentioning Detect and Disarm Trap for example). Please ask us more to give you feedback :D Summoning thread already got some great ideas which most likely will be used. Let's talk! :D

P.S: Are you thinking about changing the issue with getting Frenzy after you invested a lot into Second Weapon or Attack. For example making a Riposte a Knack to Parry instead of separate talent? (Riposte seems to me like enhanced parry). Maybe do the same thing with matrices?

Why make separate talents when you can give everybody standard Spell Matrices and allow them to develop them into the matrices they want (maybe even as Knacks to Spell Matrices or maybe some higher cost?) It would follow simplifying things you are proposing. I wouldn't mind as GM if some spellcaster would want to change his all Spell Matrices into Shared or Enhanced. Especially if he pays for it. Seems natural to me.

I think that, sorry but I am lacking better word, casualization of the game could be made the same way that Blizzard gave in World of Warcraft. Sure, hardcore fans saying the game is to easy now, but for new players it's not (and we want new people to come to ED, right?)
Blizz made core skills (and most used by classes/players) available early to give fun from playing particular class from the beginning.
Earlier you needed to reach 40+ lvl to enjoy and learn skills you will use for the rest of the game and in end-game. Do the same with ED. Don't hold cool discipline talents until 10+ Circle. Give them earlier and allow players to develop them through knacks or thread magic. Just my 2 coppers ;)
Duvvelsheyss

Roth
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: A word from Morgan

Postby Roth » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:00 am

I'm flabbergasted.

I don't know what else to say. They seem to have a particular version of how the game is played and well, we'll see what happens.

Etorian
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Etorian » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:55 am

I am really happy with what I'm reading from the development team so far so kudos to you all. I hope the finished product is half as good as you're making sound to me.

As for simplifying talents and using knacks I wouldn't be totally opposed but I would be careful with implementation. I wanted to start a thread later on knacks to see how groups use them right now and how to make them feel less like an after thought.

Our group uses them to tailor their characters mechanics to match their concepts and I think that is where they really shine. We've used them to make archery talents usable with throwing weapons, added a debut effect to emotion song for crippling depression, and more. Plus the knacks that are in the books give capabilities that aren't seen anywhere else so I don't want to loose all that to trim down the talent list.

I think doing what you're suggesting could work really well but I'd like a good hard look at knacks so that the diversity they offer sticks around.

In 1st ed if a player comes to me and says "I want my elven sword master to have an illusionist flavor like a songsmith" I can say what kind of effects did you have in mind? Then hash it out, add a legend cost, call it a knack and the rest of the group feels like the rules were followed and are inspired next time to bring a more unique character idea to my table next time. Maybe the new edition will be flexible enough I don’t need that but we'll see. My group likes to push boundaries and loves having rules to justify themselves.

Sorry I'm off topic now... I'm going to bed.

Trejes

Postby Trejes » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:29 am

etherial

Postby etherial » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:20 pm

I still think they're missing the point on Durability -- they are removing the option of having Durability higher than your Circle -- but making MultiDisciplining simpler may be worth it. Otherwise, it's a good manifesto and I'm looking forward to more.

Danger

Postby Danger » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:04 pm

Nahor

Postby Nahor » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:33 pm

Great article. Create and upset on the ks and copy paste please. Not everyone comes to then boards.

kosmit

Postby kosmit » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:50 pm

Discussions here went pretty silent. You need to give something new to keep interest up! :)
Duvvelsheyss

Tanthalas

Postby Tanthalas » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:02 pm

Or it's the weekend and people only post when avoiding work. ;)
I'm one of the Legends of Barsaive guys. Questions? Comments? Concerns? Bawdy Jokes? PM me!

Kasbak

Postby Kasbak » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:06 am

Could just be that most people were occupied with the Super Bowl, either watching it or avoiding it.

Return to “Product Discussion”