Feedback (for ED4) on Spirits and Summoning

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Etorian
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Feedback (for ED4) on Spirits and Summoning

Postby Etorian » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:42 pm

Etorian
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Etorian » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:43 pm

Stormcrow

Postby Stormcrow » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:49 pm

Tanthalas

Postby Tanthalas » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:55 pm

I'm one of the Legends of Barsaive guys. Questions? Comments? Concerns? Bawdy Jokes? PM me!

kosmit

Postby kosmit » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:08 pm

I also agree with that :) I would add that having some True Elements may help with summoning.
Duvvelsheyss

Etorian

Postby Etorian » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:23 pm

I liked it so much I liked it twice! Having true elements be required or perhaps help in the summoning process is also intriguing. (mitigate the mod on the contest of wills if you use the proper element or something)

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:37 pm

The groups I've ran either ignored summoning, or tried to "break" it. I found 3rd+ helped with it's quantity limit based on Summoning Rank.

I've been thinking about how to address this and also came up with limiting based on the Spirit Ratings vs Summoning Rank (please, please, please drop the word "Strength" from that term... hell, maybe even just rate them by "Circle").

I also really like the other ideas: that it's a "soft limit", i.e. going over it triggers a Contest of Wills at some penalty, and that the original Summoning should require some sort of material components (& that magical material would provide a bonus). I also like the idea of Summoning/Bargaining for a favor you can call "at will" (this should be one level harder of a favor to bargain for than just "protect me now"). Having rules to support and inform all of this would be useful for both players and GMs.

Nice ideas everyone!
Last edited by Telarus_KSC on Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mountainshadow

Postby Mountainshadow » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:50 am

I really like the direction this thread is taking - great ideas everyone!

Etorian

Postby Etorian » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:10 pm

Ok, so a quick recap of ideas and a thought or two.

1. Summoning should be limited to Summon Talent Rank worth of spirit rating spirits.

2. We like being able to go beyond that cap using a Contest of Wills modded by the amount of spirit rating that is being attempted to go over with spirits breaking loose and doing whatever they want as a risk/reward mechanic. (obviously needs playtesting sounds good though)

3. Adding a material component requirement to the summoning to both add another limiter and potentially add some flavor with the materials adding bonuses to summoning (and or bargaining maybe?) if they are properly aligned.

4. Using an action to bargain to set up parameters of when and how the Spirit(s) will lend aid/powers (pretty standard) and then being able to send them off for the duration of the summoning and call them back when it's necessary.

Questions I have.

1. Are we ok with the current duration for spirits after they are summoned and using strain to keep then around longer?

2. How long should summoning/bargaining take?

3. What type of action should it be to call a Spirit back to use in/out of combat?

4. Do we like/what kind of effects do we want to see the material component have?

5. Should the Contest of Wills be an optional rule to streamline it in a main book and add it for advanced players or keep it as core?

Thoughts?

Dougansf

Postby Dougansf » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:11 pm

Return to “Product Discussion”