Passions and Questors - What Would You Like to See?1

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Kasbak

Passions and Questors - What Would You Like to See?1

Postby Kasbak » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:57 pm

It was mentioned in another thread that there wouldn't really be opposition to exploring changes with how Passions and Questors work in the new edition. I was just wondering for my own curiosity what other people would like to see.

FWIW, in my campaign I ran a house ruled mechanic for spending devotion points in order to gain a one time bonus on an action. I made the bonus cost fibonacci * 10 devotion points per increase level. It could only be spent on actions that were within the Passion's purview. For instance, if a Warrior were fighting to defend a family from a group of thieves, he could spend devotion points from Garlen that were previously acquired on any actions directly related to that (attack, damage, bulding a shelter to hide them in, etc). They did not have to be a Questor to gain this bonus, as I was using it just to represent the Passion's favor that they had gained. Further, the points spent were lost (once you use up the favor, it's not owed anymore), so if you are a Questor and spend enough points from your Passion to drop your total lower than the need for your current rank, your rank drops. I felt this kept all devotion points relevant (since you can only quest for one Passion), and kept them relevant as GM rewards.

I don't know if this exact mechanic would be useful for the new edition, but something else to keep all devotion points useful would be a good thing IMO.

kosmit

Re: Passions and Questors - What Would You Like to See?1

Postby kosmit » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:05 pm

I would like to see information about Temples, Orders, Questors history, Racial difference in seeing Passions.
Geographical Passions influence.
Duvvelsheyss

yog-sototh
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby yog-sototh » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:14 pm

an i want to see some more power then only three from players companion.

Tanthalas
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Tanthalas » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:46 pm

I'm one of the Legends of Barsaive guys. Questions? Comments? Concerns? Bawdy Jokes? PM me!

zayven

Postby zayven » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:41 pm

The Passions need a lot more fleshing out in general. I was never really satisfied with how they were presented in any previous edition. It was never entirely clear how "divine" they were actually supposed to be. The game stated pretty clearly that they weren't necessarily gods, but I never had a good idea of how you were supposed to think of them. Most of the time, they just ended up fading into the background. There would be occasional references to them (NPC 1 follows Passion A), but it never seemed like you were supposed to think about it too much unless somebody worshipped one of the mad passions.

Earthdawn always felt very agnostic if not outright atheist to me a lot of the time. It was possible to run a game and NEVER make a single mention of the passions, which was always a little bit weird. I think it would have helped if the fluff did a better job of incorporating that spirituality into its descriptions of Barsaivian culture.

Tanthalas

Postby Tanthalas » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:38 am

I'm one of the Legends of Barsaive guys. Questions? Comments? Concerns? Bawdy Jokes? PM me!

Trejes

Postby Trejes » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:41 am

kosmit

Postby kosmit » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:55 am

I would like to see some Holidays for Passions and some Relics related with them :)
Duvvelsheyss

Kasbak

Postby Kasbak » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:47 pm

Flowswithdrek

Postby Flowswithdrek » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:29 pm

Return to “Product Discussion”