Passions and Questors - What Would You Like to See?1

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Roth
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Passions and Questors - What Would You Like to See?1

Postby Roth » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:37 pm

Keeping the Questor abilities small compared to other things in Earthdawn allows non-adepts to be questors.

Stretching it out like Lightbearers makes the high ranking questors adepts only.

etherial
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby etherial » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:38 pm

Nahor

Postby Nahor » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:44 pm

I'd love to see an actual official calendar instituted and not only that but one by Thera's reckoning too and then a subset for any other social group. I know there was/is one floating around there somewhere with names and possibly months named and then the feast days in the winter for all the passions.

I'd also like to see the passions, questors, and their powers fleshed out more. I'd think it would be great to also have places of power (those places held holy by people to certain passions) as well as some thread items of all sorts from minor to core.

I'd argue that QA + Adepts = powergaming. The Questor Powers shouldn't be used outside of situations that match the player's passion's ideals. TO do so is contra to the power as described in 1e. FOr instance, I was a Lochost follower and really used my powers to either free slaves or changes ways of thinking. The latter was attempted on Alachia. Close but not cigar with that queen beeatch. :) For me to try and use lochost powers on a very hard to open jar to "free" the food ;) would have been a joke, funny but still a joke, and contrary to the meaning of being a questor, getting powers, etc.

Kasbak

Postby Kasbak » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:08 pm

zayven

Postby zayven » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:27 pm

etherial

Postby etherial » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:04 pm

Tanthalas

Postby Tanthalas » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:41 pm

I'm one of the Legends of Barsaive guys. Questions? Comments? Concerns? Bawdy Jokes? PM me!

Kasbak

Postby Kasbak » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:02 pm

@Tanthalas, the short answer to your questions that I can give is: Yes.

As I understand it, the Passions go beyond the level of gods in that they are the embodiment of basic drives that Namegivers have. Different cultures give them different importance, and thus make them into diffetent entities with different Names. The shared belief of the same drives in the same importants solidifies them, makes them physically real, and once they are in that state are given Names. A Questor's Passion is powered by the collective belief in that Passion, and the Questor's powers are fueled by the belief that the Passion is fueling them. It all gets very zen and Matrix-y.

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:42 pm

The best description I've read of how I see the Passion in the world is actually in a short story by Allen Varney that was not published (it included some elements that were a bit to sci-fi or weird, I guess). It's non "cannon" due to the previously mentioned weirdness, but all the interactions between the Passions and the main character are GOLD. The story is freely available on Allen's website:

http://www.allenvarney.com/av_veil_toc.html

I also recommend checking this out, some of which became Legends of Earthdawn Vol1, but there's GOOD stuff here that was never published:
http://www.allenvarney.com/edlegends.html

EDChronicler

Postby EDChronicler » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:32 pm

Allen Varney is a good writer, however, some of his "world views" for Earthdawn don't really mesh well with core concepts already established.

Return to “Product Discussion”