Opinion Piece on the 4th Edition Book size.

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Tanthalas
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Opinion Piece on the 4th Edition Book size.

Postby Tanthalas » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:30 pm

Kasbak definitely has a point about the added hassle of printing hand-outs. I didn't even think of that. That could definitely cause an issue with adventures printed in digest sized if there isn't some sort of online supplement.

kosmit, I'm a state-side player so I can only imagine the difficulty of getting printed product in Poland. I'm sure your solutions works best for your group, but my point is that I do not think it is the norm. And I don't know if we can say that searching is NEVER as fast as flipping through a book, but your message is received. I meant no disrespect.

I just wanted to make sure both sides of the 'Book Size' debate were represented. I think both sides definitely have points in their favor.
I'm one of the Legends of Barsaive guys. Questions? Comments? Concerns? Bawdy Jokes? PM me!

Kasbak

Postby Kasbak » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:57 pm

I definitely agree that both formats have their value. The question is what format will best suit purposes here. To reiterate items I have stated elsewhere, I think digest size would work best for supplements that are mostly informative. I put forth the idea of a small book that purely covers spells; it would be a handy reference resource so that you don't have to dig through the core books just to find something simple like a weaving difficulty or a duration.

I don't think digest size is the best fit for Earthdawn corebooks simply due to the fluff material that the system is so well known for. Earthdawn books aren't just rule references; they are narratives that paint a picture of the world. On that same note, that is why I for one don't mind paying more for them.

Mataxes
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Mataxes » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:20 pm

To answer the question, since I guess it could have been a touch clearer:

The hardcover edition is *only* available via the Kickstarter. We will be doing a run of enough hardcover books to fulfill the pledges (plus perhaps a handful of extras). If you don't get the hardcover through the KS, odds are you are not going to get it. The books "in the wild" will all be softcover.
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Kasbak

Postby Kasbak » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:25 pm

Well, that makes a lot more sense (and makes me a LOT happier I put in for the early bird special on the hardcovers). Could I also suggest an official update on the KS to make that clearer for those placing pledges? Looks like it's been talked about in the comments, but I think it would be better to not have the question hanging in the air.

etherial

Postby etherial » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:29 pm

Last edited by etherial on Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darth Quiris

Postby Darth Quiris » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:30 pm

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:45 pm

That's quite all right. As things progressed, it started to become clear that there was the impression that the hardcover edition would be available for general release. That isn't the case.
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:41 pm

Darth Quiris

Postby Darth Quiris » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:55 am

zayven

Postby zayven » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:33 am

Return to “Product Discussion”