Opinion Piece on the 4th Edition Book size.

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Nahor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Opinion Piece on the 4th Edition Book size.

Postby Nahor » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:24 pm

I don't think we have any dedicated gaming stores here in Omaha. They are mostly hybrid stores. There is a store that is very gaming centric in Bellevue (South of Omaha) that has a butt-load of board games, Warhammer, CCGs, and lots of space for gaming.

Most stores however are D&D glutted.

Slimcreeper
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Slimcreeper » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:54 pm

This phenomenon is because tabletop gamers are simply not very good customers for brick-and-morters. We don't spend enough dollars regularly, and we buy too much online. The old-style FLGS only exists in places where there is a community that deliberately supports gaming.

zayven

Postby zayven » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:32 pm

Yeah, I have to confess that I'm horrible about not supporting brick and mortar stores. For as much as I talk about wanting to have a nice FLGS, the fact remains that I'm not going to buy books from them at full price when I can get them from Amazon for 30-40% cheaper. I realize that this makes me part of the problem, but with most rulebooks running between $50 and $60 these days, buying online is a significant savings. It's not like it used to be back in the 90s when FASA Corp sourcebooks mostly ran between $15 and $18.

As much as the gaming community likes glossy hardcovers, I really miss the days of inexpensive paperback sourcebooks. I look at all of the sourcebooks for FFG's Warhammer 40k rpg and want to buy most of them, but even the skinny books will cost you at least $30. Sure, the books look nice, but I'm not spending that much on a book unless I KNOW that I'm going to be using it. By contrast, I bought a lot of Earthdawn and Shadowrun sourcebooks back in the day that I NEVER used because they didn't cost me much more than I would have spent on a CD.

Then again, the fact that I would have been buying CDs in a store tells you how long ago this was!

Darth Quiris

Postby Darth Quiris » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:31 am

zayven

Postby zayven » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:53 am

Trejes

Postby Trejes » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:52 am

Are we still talking about the book size?

Me, i would really like to have big rule books. I can imagine digest size books to be more handy at a gaming table. But i'm willing to pay 50 $ for a hardcover rulebook for a game which i can still play with my old books. So i'm more like 'i want a collectors item' for my money. And i always have the feeling that a big hardcover rulebook has some significance or valency and is not just an article of daily use.

Btw why is the link to the survey about the book size buried somewhere in the comments section of the kickstarter and not somewhere in the update section or on the main page?

Kasbak

Postby Kasbak » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:09 pm

Darth Quiris

Postby Darth Quiris » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:35 pm

EDChronicler

Postby EDChronicler » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:26 pm

On a side note, my FLGS has been around for almost 20 years. The owner calls most of us her kids.

Drucifer

Postby Drucifer » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:00 am

In my city I have 4 Game stores (not book stores, actual game stores) within 20 minutes drive of each other, and another 4 if I want to drive an hour in various directions. When third edition was out 2 of the stores in my city carried the whole line, when the PDFs were being sold before the stores could get their shipments ( the Cathay GM Guide and Player Guide), one stopped carrying the line and the other only carried one copy of each title. I commented on this on the old forums.

Currently about 5% of the games are in digest format, they don't sell well from the shelf. At least not in any of the four stores I have asked. The most brisk sales of digest books are for the Warhammer Fantasy and 40,000 "flavor" texts which are almost without exception limited print runs.

On a slightly different note, I provide this gem.

, note the date, and the reasons for carrying Earthdawn. Even after it had been canceled, again.

Thank you Tanthalas and Darth Quiris for taking the time to respond in a very useful and mature manner.

The horse is dead, I shall let it be and hope it will not rot.
Tableau Infractus
Tableau Infractus

Fans are the life blood of any game system... Go get some new blood.

Return to “Product Discussion”