Preview #5 - Spells

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Panda

Re: Preview #5 - Spells

Postby Panda » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:19 pm

All of the rules are in place for weaving to Named locations, though that doesn't make them clear. Whike 3E has some of the clearest information regarding True Patterns, it can still use work. Specifically, each Named location has pattern items, just as a Namegiver or group pattern. Those pattern items can be used to weave threads to the location based on the strength of the item and assuming you know the relevant key knowledge.

Summoning spells aren't going away by any stretch. I'm trying to explore the design space that they offer more, particularly in contrast with talents. The spells with the binding keyword are an outgrowth of that. Part of the problem with classic summoning spells is that it doesn't take long for the critter that comes out to be not terribly useful. Combat has simply scaled past their prime. That relatively short lifespan, combined with how annoying it can be for some players/GMs to deal with a summoned creature, made them somewhat unattractive options.

That is what lead me down the path asking how to make those spells useful in the long run without having attributes that are customizable (which is the realm of the talent - though I have ideas on that) and cause things to slow to a crawl as that is refigured. In addition, balancing mutable attributes can be tricky. So, born was the idea of being able to summon a spirit or elemental and binding it to your friend as an enhancement. They are more complex than the average spell and tend towards higher risk/reward. Each has some specific requirements based on the spirit in question. There is also the option of binding an appropriate spirit you know the Name, with an associated benefit and downside if they leave in a huff.

That may be considerably more information than you were after. I hope that is more-or-less answered your question?
Earthdawn Developer and I have a gaming , though, let's face it, it is really an Earthdawn blog which also happens to have some reviews.

Telarus_KSC
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Telarus_KSC » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:08 am

Ooooh, nice teaser. ;)

Etorian
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Etorian » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:46 am

That does answer the question and I like it alot. Thematically it reminds me of either a precursor to or a result of the research to develop the ritual of thorns. Also some interesting possible multiple use spells. Like summoning a thorn spirit into a foe to damage/cripple with pain or into an ally who with a will check to overcome the pain might gain wound mod negation similar to a blood elf. I think you have something here. Hope you consider spells for beast master companions and binding to items like an on the fly version of binding spirit s to Named items.

Panda

Postby Panda » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:33 am

Currently, I don't want the new spells to overwhelm many of the classic offerings that are being redeveloped to fit in the new scheme. As you have indicated, it does open up quite a bit of area to develop new ideas. Including spells that can be used offensively or defensively. The idea of spells being more versatile overall is definitely an area that I am exploring (e.g. a single spell that has a few different variations which can be learned, but still residing in a single spell matrix). How it will work out in the end isn't finalized.

I can say that at this time, I'm not looking into binding spirits into items. That isn't to say it is off the table, but that is more the purview of enchanting. There are a few different ways you can look at the metaphysics behind that - none of these are official, just things that I am thinking about. One is that the item may already have its own animistic spirit residing there, so it is "taken". The idea of giving an item a true pattern is somewhat about awakening that spirit and giving it sapience to a degree. Binding spells are clear about only one spirit per "body", so having a spirit bound to you grants protection from other binding and possession effects.

Another way to look at it is that the lack of a true pattern means there is nothing for the spirit to interact with in that item. It has no astral imprint and simply does not exist. The act of creating a thread item brings that pattern into existence and allows the spirit to be trapped within. There is the potential for an effect that temporarily "spoofs" a pattern within an item, allowing a spirit to reside there for a time. That kind of effect could be interesting and fall into a few different camps, depending on your take: the idea of creating a lie suggests an Illusionist, while manipulation of spirits and astral imprints is a Nethermancer thing, and anything that technically arcane can involve a Wizard. Just not really an Elementalist thing - it's not real.

As for animal companions, they are just as valid a target as an adept. Having spells specifically designed to be used on an animal companion is pretty niche in application. Not out of the question, but something that would best be saved for a supplement like Arcane Mysteries. I would personally love to do a book like that, but I know of no specific plans for books beyond what has been publicly revealed.

Was that helpful and/or what you were looking for?
Earthdawn Developer and I have a gaming , though, let's face it, it is really an Earthdawn blog which also happens to have some reviews.

kosmit

Postby kosmit » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:03 am

Panda what about idea I gave with matrices? To give everybody spell matrices and allow them to develop them into other types using knacks?
Duvvelsheyss

Panda

Postby Panda » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:08 am

How exactly we are handling spell matrices has been in place for quite a while. I cannot say more on that one at this time, my apologies.

Roth

Postby Roth » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:00 am

Couple of things that make me go hmmm.

With 3E's style of willforce coupled with your saying that combat spells will cause less damage in order to make them cast faster. Wouldn't that imply people will want to use willforce more often, but with willforce causing strain each time it's used.... has spellcasters had their DR/UC increased?

Etorian

Postby Etorian » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:58 am

Sangeet

Postby Sangeet » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:43 am

Spell Target /Area, will this be included for players using a battle map ? Lets say: cone, explosion 4x4, circle radius 4 hex fields?

kosmit

Postby kosmit » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:59 am

I never liked giving measures in yards (hexes). It should be one measure given. Is it realy that hard to divide yards to get hexes? Heck I am from Poland and we use metric system, and I don't have a problem with calculating inches, feets, yards to meters and pounds to kilograms. You could save space in the book by giving only one measurement in decriptions, whichever it would be.
Duvvelsheyss

Return to “Product Discussion”