Preview #5 - Spells

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Roth
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Preview #5 - Spells

Postby Roth » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:56 am

Mantle of the Fire Marauder
Threads: 1
Weaving: 8/13
Casting Difficulty: Target’s Mystic Defense
Range: Touch
Duration: Rank + 5 Rounds
Effect: Wil

Fire, Binding. This spell summons a fire elemental and temporarily binds it to a willing target. The magician showers the target in sparks, then touches the target and makes a Spellcasting test. If successful, the target bellows in rage and is engulfed in flame. Anyone engaging the target in close combat will automatically takes Effect test damage (Physical Armor protects) and can cause the surrounding area to catch fire. The target’s Damage tests add a bonus die of fire damage equal to the Effect Step. Each round, the target must adopt the Aggressive Attack stance (even if not normally allowed, such as when using ranged weapons), though this does not cost Strain. Every turn the target must either attack a target or move their full movement towards a target. Failure to do either of these causes the fire elemental to forcefully leave the target, dealing Effect Step + 2 damage to the target (no armor protects). This spell may only have one active casting at a time.

Without any context for the spell, not much we can say. It's harder to weave, but is easier to re-attune compared to Flameweapon. Doesn't last as long as flame weapon but it's damage is a seriously major increase.
crafty player can point out that it only says "Every turn the target must either attack a target or move their full movement towards a target. Failure to do either of these causes the fire elemental to forcefully leave the target, dealing Effect Step + 2 damage" A target doesn't mean enemy/opponent/disagreeable party/opposition/etc.

*However if a target is changed to 'an opponent', the spell loses a lot of oomph. A caster has 13 ranks in spellcasting with willforce talent at 13, better hope your combat last the 18 turns or so the spell will, not too many wanting to take step 15 damage for a number of turns.

Panda

Postby Panda » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:22 am

The intent Is that you will either be attacking something that isn't a barrel, or actively looking for something to attack. The precise wording for that was escaping me and I have since settled for a sentence that somewhat goes directly at the issue, but I would rather have an explanation that makes sense.

This is one instance where the fact Willforce has to be applied every time, not just when the spell is cast, that it will work in your favor. Unless the Elementalist really doesn't like you.

Below is the current text, any suggestions on how to make that intent more clear?

Fire, Binding. This spell summons a fire elemental and temporarily binds it to a willing target. The magician showers the target in sparks, then touches the target and makes a Spellcasting test. If successful, the target will bellow in rage and be engulfed in flame. Anyone engaging the target in close combat with the target automatically takes Effect test damage (Physical Armor protects). The flames surrounding the target can cause the surrounding area to catch fire, at the GM’s discretion. The target’s Damage tests add a bonus die of fire damage equal to the Effect Step. Each turn, the target must adopt the Aggressive Attack stance (even if not normally allowed, such as when using ranged weapons), though this does not cost Strain. Every turn the target must either attack, or move their full movement toward their next opponent with every intention of attacking that opponent. Failure to do either of these causes the fire elemental to forcefully leave the target, dealing Effect Step + 2 damage to the target (no armor protects). Any attempt to fool the elemental by not engaging an opponent in combat will cause the spell to immediately end as previously described. This spell may only have one active casting at a time.
Earthdawn Developer and I have a gaming , though, let's face it, it is really an Earthdawn blog which also happens to have some reviews.

Panda

Postby Panda » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:28 am

Earthdawn Developer and I have a gaming , though, let's face it, it is really an Earthdawn blog which also happens to have some reviews.

etherial
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby etherial » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:26 am

kosmit

Postby kosmit » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:20 am

Any chance to separate tread weaving description from the spell mechanics in spell description?
Duvvelsheyss

Panda

Postby Panda » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:41 am

Roth

Postby Roth » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:44 pm

Panda

Postby Panda » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:12 pm

If there is an ongoing effect, Willforce has to be applied each time there is an Effect test. For example, if you are using Shield Mist, each time you make an Effect test to avoid an attack, the decision to use Willforce will have to be made and paid for individually.

The intention is to only affect those that directly come into contact with the mantled character.

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:46 pm

For an Earthdawn spell which summons a bound elemental (meaning, it doesn't have a statblock, it just does something and then goes away), the description length seems good. These spells are rare and much like contracts in detail & I actually describe them as 'ancient contracts with Named Elementals' to my Obsidiman Elementalist player.

Panda, I would alter the last sentence to make it clear that 'the caster' may only have one instance of this active, and I would also add something about how the caster can cancel it, either at-will or with a (Will?) roll vs something to banish the elemental spirit (to cut-short the whole, "it's round 12, all the enemies are dead and now my friend is carrying a bomb" scenario).

Great to have more magic theory guys on the forum :)

Roth

Postby Roth » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:10 pm

Return to “Product Discussion”