Preview #5 - Spells

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Roth
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Preview #5 - Spells

Postby Roth » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:58 pm

Looking more into this, brought up some more questions from me.

"Failure to do either of these causes the fire elemental to forcefully leave the target, dealing Effect Step + 2 damage to the target (no armor protects). "
Why the extra +2 when you already have the 'no armor protects'?

"Anyone engaging the target in close combat with the target automatically takes Effect test damage (Physical Armor protects)."
"The target’s Damage tests add a bonus die of fire damage equal to the Effect Step."
Why the double whammy? Particularly when you are using the new Willforce rules?

With 7 different effects going on with the spell, is this going to be the norm or is this spell an exceptional case?

Telarus_KSC
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Telarus_KSC » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:45 pm

Imagine an Archer with this spell cast on them (note the wording in the Aggressive stance requirement in the spell). I think that's why it has the "anyone engaged in close combat w/ the target takes Effect step damage" and the buff to weapon damage. Does this make it even more dangerous on a Warrior... YUP.

The preview also didn't show us what Circle this is in, it also seems like a special case to me (my note on this being a "bound" elemental spell, and not one that summons an elemental with it's own stats).

Etorian

Postby Etorian » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:31 pm

Panda

Postby Panda » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:08 pm

In general, the number of threads is being reduced, typically with a corresponding reduction in effect. There are not many 2 thread combat spells and very few 3+ (they tend towards area denial on a large scale/duration or to attack big things like river boats). One of my goals was to keep combat spells at two turns to cast, barring the caster making a conscious decision otherwise. At this time, the weaving difficulties are being harmonized for each Circle. Meaning that all spells of a given Circle will have the same weaving and reattuning on the fly difficulty.

Extra threads certainly allow for increased effect and additional targets. The exact details of what that will look like is still under wraps (my apologies). I can say that each spell will have it's own selection of effects to add. None of them will add completely new effects, but they will augment the existing spell. The various spellcasting Disciplines have slightly different access to various effects.

Hopefully that answered your questions.
Earthdawn Developer and I have a gaming , though, let's face it, it is really an Earthdawn blog which also happens to have some reviews.

Etorian

Postby Etorian » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:31 pm

Thank you for the quick response! I'm excited to be talking Earthdawn with people outside of our little world, it's like I was in a kaer sealed in the 50's and I'm coming out wondering where my flying cars and robots are. Sounds like I'll just have to see what you all are working on, I LOVE the potential with the system and worst case scenario I can always tweek it if I need to for our purposes. I just want the fun that we have with our game to be available to everybody and the game and mechanics I love to be as well thought out as possible.

Panda

Postby Panda » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:51 pm

I'm always up for chatting about Earthdawn - feel free to hit me up whenever. There are obviously many limits on what I can discuss regarding 4E development, but I will do what I can in that regard as well.
Earthdawn Developer and I have a gaming , though, let's face it, it is really an Earthdawn blog which also happens to have some reviews.

Etorian

Postby Etorian » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:24 pm

Awesome, this is a little off topic but I it's a preview thread so whatever. I see that they are making a questor book which is LONG overdue and really excites me. I've heard somewhere between 1st ed and Revised the lightbearers were dropped. Will they be addressed in 4th at some point?

Also what about group patterns and attaching threads to locations instead of items? Those ideas always intrigued me but I thought they could be better laid out. I'm already discussing summoning in another thread and what we're talking about there is interesting I hope it gets some of you developers in on the conversation.

Panda

Postby Panda » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:52 pm

We can go for a brief detour, though it probably will not be as fruitful as hoped. My apologies for that.

I don't know if Lightbearers ever made it out of 1E. Talking about their role and any possible appearance is a tricky one because their existence is a little divisive. There are differing (and often strong) opinions about whether they are a core part of the setting, or if they dilute the horror themes of the setting. I did an adaptation/re-imagining of them to 3E previously to fit in with the game I am running. It's not really an answer, but it is the best I can give right now.

By attaching threads to locations instead of items, do you mean attaching a thread to Blood Wood (for example) or something else?

To be honest, engaging in discussions like the one around Summoning is tricky. There are limits to what can be said, which hinders discussion, and too much potential for things to be taken the wrong way. At least, that is how I approach things, though I can only speak for myself.

etherial

Postby etherial » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:00 pm

Etorian

Postby Etorian » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:15 pm

I don't know about fruitful, I have no expectations.

I definitely see the point about Lightbearers and am not in love with them, just wondered if they would make a reappearance. The answer is fine because I understand the limitations you're under especially with a divisive topic... can't make a statement that would be linked to a potential product without causing a potential firestorm.

The threads to locations question is exactly that. If a group of Blood Woodsman is sworn to protect the Blood Wood might I have the rules to make that happen as a GM or if my group decides they are the Guardian Angels of Urupa can they tie themselves to it to help fend off invaders etc? Or though more of an item a crew of a famous Airship linking themselves to it making them function better on deck than on the ground.

The way I see it the more we as a community communicate what we like/hate/think the better the final product will be for the masses. I am an experienced enough GM/Player to manipulate the game to be the game I want. I do however like when the bones behind it are made by like minded people. So far you and Josh seem going in the right direction mostly.

A blend of the actual topic here and my diversions... will spells that summon spirits be expanded? I noticed on the example that the spell is a binding spell. I like it but I would hate to leave the other summoning talents in the dust. I could however see using spell summoning for more in combat effects and talent summoning for more broad reaching effects if you are trying to limit the power of having a wave of summoned spirits at a characters disposal. Don't know if I like it but at this point I'm just thinking in text...

Return to “Product Discussion”