Canonical Earthdawn

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Flowswithdrek
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Canonical Earthdawn

Postby Flowswithdrek » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:44 pm

Mr_Jigsaw
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Mr_Jigsaw » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:33 pm

Problem with canon and metaplot expanding in "classic fantasy" rpgs is that nothing realy seems to happen outside of some historical events.
I mean i always had the feeling that classic fantasy rpgs stay the same over decades even when they make use of changing metaplot.
Everything looks the same as before with faction xy brought to new power and some war or conflicts happening here and there.
Technology is never advancing and never changing in fantasy games´metaplot even with the 50th edition.
When i look a games like CP or SR there´s many things that had an impact on society and technology etc. like the whole change from
VR to AR or SOTA, cyberware beeing kinda outdated by nanoware or bioware etc in SR.
Yes, i know cyberpunk and scifi are pretty about technology advancing but wouldn´t it be great to have ED changing into something still ED to it´s roots and expanding this a bit more than just adding new provinces and races to a metaplot/canon?

Mr_Jigsaw

Postby Mr_Jigsaw » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:43 pm

Thinking of stuff that realy affects life in Barsaive and thus the gaming experience on a deeper level.
Maybe the meta...i mean namegiver-races slowly de-generate or magic is changing because of slight and slow decline of the manacircle (yeah, shame on me here)...are Obsidians vanishing or maybe more windlings appearing? Something else than just events without an impact on the game itself!
Maybe new technological advancement in the field of prosthetics and blood charms or something beeing revolutionized with or without magic
in the field of medicine, architecture, society, inventions and so on...
Some historical event that changes astral space(s) and the usage of magic a little bit. Would event affect the Adepts in a way....

Slimcreeper

Postby Slimcreeper » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:02 pm

Are we inventing trains and guns here? Printing press?

Kasbak

Postby Kasbak » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:53 am

EDChronicler

Postby EDChronicler » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:54 pm

Etorian

Postby Etorian » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:24 am

I love Earthdawn for this more than anything. I consider each campaign a bardic telling of the adventures of a particular group of heroes. As with all oral traditions the details change to suit the story and be more entertaining to the audience. Things we change I like we keep but if it doesn't fit the next story it's just a new telling of the legends.

Return to “Product Discussion”