The Chopping Block

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
etherial
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

The Chopping Block

Postby etherial » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:25 am

Nahor

Re: The Chopping Block

Postby Nahor » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:36 am

Nethermancer has one that my friend didn't raise past circle 3. It's some spy one (can't remember which it is exactly off hand). It was rather pointless when you got the Blood Servitor spell.

Kasbak

Postby Kasbak » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:56 am

Lip Reading as a Talent always seemed a waste to me. I can see the usefulness of it as a skill, but it's just too limited to make it worth taking up a Talent slot.

I used to think Arcane Mutterings was useless until I found the Subliminal Mutterings knack. Then you've got the Jedi mind trick, which is incredibly useful.

Nahor

Postby Nahor » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:15 pm

Editing my response through a new response: It was Animal possession or Dominate Beast, can't recall which one and these sound very similar although I have a feeling it's the difference between getting one what you want to do and you going into it and taking direct control. Anyway we were fighting some beasty that can turn you to stone or something and he rolled some ludicrous roll (and it was needed) and got the creature to attack its fellows. Other than that it was rarely, if ever, used. I almost don't see why Nethermancers, researchers and masters of the undead would have such talents unless they could directly be used on lesser, read more animalistic, horrors. Then the talents would be more inline with the discipline.

Danger

Postby Danger » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:23 pm

Danger

Postby Danger » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:25 pm

Tanthalas

Postby Tanthalas » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:54 am

I was always thought the Elementalist's Air Speak talent was a pretty huge waste. It...lets me talk loudly? I guess that might be helpful once every now and then. There might be a knack or two to make it useful, but on its own I always thought it felt silly, especially since it was a requirement in 3rd Edition. Perhaps it would work better as an 'Elemental Tap' sort of talent? Tap Air and you speak loudly or distract, Tap Water and get a bonus to swimming, Tap Earth to climb, Wood to sneak, and fire to...be strong? Just small boosts based off of success levels could make for a very interesting talent.
I'm one of the Legends of Barsaive guys. Questions? Comments? Concerns? Bawdy Jokes? PM me!

Kasbak

Postby Kasbak » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:18 pm

IIRC, Air Speaking allowed the secret communication that Danger mentioned. Unless there was a change with editions or I'm just remembering wrong.

Even so, talking loudly can be very useful, provided you've got something convincing enough to say (see Doctor Who for examples of that). I could see not needing it as a Discipline Talent, but I think it still has enough usage to leave it as is for an option, with a your mileage may vary caveat.

etherial

Postby etherial » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:19 pm

EDChronicler

Postby EDChronicler » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:45 pm

To be honest,

I've had only two real "as in qualified and played" characters for Earthdawn.

My first: A Wizard who later became Wizard / Elementalist

My Second: A Journeyman

What I do know: Having run a few games with many different players, I've watch some players surprise me with how they design, and perceive their Disciplines One in particular was a fellow forumite, The Werefrog.

Just because a talent doesn't make sense to you or one of your players, that is honestly just a another flavor of what defines that character's world view. What really makes the difference is when a MOA (Master of Adepts, i.e. Game Master) takes takes all that information and weaves great stories for his players, both showing ways other than a player's world view, but also showing a player's world view to the other players in unique and exciting ways.

Return to “Product Discussion”