Kickstarter - more ideas

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Henghyoke
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Kickstarter - more ideas

Postby Henghyoke » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:05 pm

Flowswithdrek
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Flowswithdrek » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:09 pm

Henghyoke

Postby Henghyoke » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:39 pm

:thumbup:

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:11 pm

Doing my best to get caught up on stuff.

Personally, I was a little uncomfortable with coming up with stuff like "have your character's name used in examples", "contribute a magic item", that sort of thing. I mean, how many of those do we offer, and how does it look when those are all snapped up by the early backers? (I mean, it's awesome that people want that sort of thing, I just don't want latecomers to possibly miss out on cool stuff because they didn't hear until late.)

I also didn't want to go overboard with a bunch of add-ons or tchotchkes that would have required us to figure out how to fulfill them, and trying to figure out the appropriate cost, and all sorts of logistical stuff like that. We are trying to figure out a way to allow people to get multiple copies at higher contribution levels (so that one backer could get books for his group, that kind of thing). Having a "pre-release" PDF of the rules (sans art and layout) is a good idea, once we have the book(s) in a more complete state.

I'm mainly a writer with a day job, and new to this type of project management (that is, Kickstarter). I have read the horror stories of crowdfunding drives that got overwhelmed with all sorts of things that were not really the product being funded, and I wanted to avoid that for our first effort. Better to aim a little bit lower and exceed our objective than shoot for the moon and miss.

We've had a lot of good suggestions, and we're talking about how feasible they are. They might not make an appearance in this campaign, but will be in the idea file for future campaigns (either for Earthdawn, or our other lines).

I figured we would reach our goal, I didn't realize we would hit it so quickly. I am thrilled, and a little intimidated. I already felt some pressure to get out the best books I could... that pressure has increased quite a bit.

Oh, with regard to full-color (or more color)... that's a bit more of an expensive prospect, as we would need to budget more for the artwork. It's a possibility, given the success so far, but I don't want to commit to anything like that without talking with the people who have more experience with that sort of thing (again, more experienced with the creative, not quite so much the budgeting and such).
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Darth Quiris

Postby Darth Quiris » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:52 am

Personally I am torn on the idea of a digest sized book for Earthdawn and I still don't see what the problem would be in getting the books to be in color. $50 for a hardcover digest sized black and white for a single players guide is way expensive for a black and white book when there are full sized, hardcover books like FFG Star Wars for $60, KenzerCo (a fairly small company like yours) with their Hackmaster and Hacklopedia of Beasts at full color, standard sized at $60 for their two main books, AEG and their Legend of the Five Rings books, all hardback, standard sized and full color all around the $40 and $50 mark per book...

your $50 per hardcover, digest sized books in black and white are equally priced yet smaller and no color and by comparison to the others... and because so many other companies have gone the route of color nowadays (with a few exceptions) the bar for quality has been set pretty high.

Earthdawn should get the same treatment as the other rpgs out there.

There are also smaller companies than yours who have also done the full color, standard sized hardbacks for their games. Khepera getting Hellas and their new Atlantis: the Second Age in hardcover full color... MWP and getting all their books in hardback, full color, standard size (Smallville, Leverage, Firefly, Marvel Civil War)... these are not big companies.

Your game is going to be compared to all of these whether or not you like it.

If these stay digest sized than for the price you are charging they should have FANTASTIC artwork and layout and most definitely should be COLOR and be THICK.

Roth

Postby Roth » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:27 am

The reason given for digest sized was:
"Digest Size - as the guy in charge of final production, we've kind of inherited that size from our other projects and have received good feedback on it so far for the products released using it. Not saying things won't change in the future but we do want to stay consistent along a product line."

Take from that what you will.

bigity

Postby bigity » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:00 am

Isn't this a brand new product line?

Roth

Postby Roth » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:26 pm

No, it's a brand new edition. The product line is Earthdawn. That is the 'reasoning' far as I can tell.

bigity

Postby bigity » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:47 pm

Well they put a poll up asking about size preference, regardless of the outcome, I think that in and of itself is a classy move and I appreciate it.

Kasbak

Postby Kasbak » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:53 pm

Return to “Product Discussion”