Kickstarter - more ideas

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
zayven
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Kickstarter - more ideas

Postby zayven » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:23 pm

To be fair, I don't think anyone expected the Kickstarter to bring in twice as much as the original goal within 48 hours. All of the comments regarding the physical books were made on the "hope" that they could raise $10,000 within a month. Suddenly having a budget twice that size may send some of those publication plans back to the drawing board. Judging from the comments on the Kickstarter page, it sounds like publishing in digest format is no longer a plan that's set in stone anyway. I agree that going with full sized, full color books is probably a wise choice given the quality of products on the market right now, but let's at least wait until the end of the Kickstarter before we start taking anyone to task over the physical characteristics of the books.

Also, I don't think it's fair to extrapolate the price of the books based on the Kickstarter rewards. The point of Kickstarter is that you're investing money to help a project see the light of day, not purchasing a finished product at the best price point on Amazon.

RSTilton
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby RSTilton » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:43 pm

PDF quickstart adventures would also be good. They're good for our friends over seas as well. Perhaps set them up to be Print on Demand for availability as well.

Trejes

Postby Trejes » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:16 am

I absolutely agree with some of my previous speakers: Deliver the main product (PG and GMG) in good quality and on time and everybody will be happy. Would be a shame to delay everything because you are working on fulfilling some streach goals (handmade wormsculls anybody? ;) ).
My suggestions were a mix of things I like to have and ideas to raise some money.

So would you please give me a new map? I'm funding the kickstarter and I'm going to pay for shipping outside the US (which is a lot of money) so don't I kind of deserve something extra? A new map with all the places mentioned in some of the additional sourcebooks would be a hit!

I'm still wondering why you don't try to sell the art. Someone suggested autographed printed out pictures. Give your artist 5 $ for every signed picture and keep 5 $ for yourself. Or double the total. Or some coloured discipline pictures. Something like that if you have the time to organize it.

Notaure

Postby Notaure » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:38 am

yes to full size!
yes to hardcover!
yes to color!
:D
Notaure, a french fan of Earthdawn

Bishop37

Postby Bishop37 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:58 pm

Mr_Jigsaw

Postby Mr_Jigsaw » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:33 pm

Dear people at FASA:
I just saw your pitchvideo over at Kickstarter.
After a short rush of fanboy-adrenaline i have to admitt this is by far the worst pitchvideo i ever saw at any crowdfunding site.

Compare this video (not the video quality) to anything that for example Jordan Weisman did for Shadowrun returns.
Your video lacks any emotion and excitement. Totaly. Just a guy explaining the world of Earthdawn for over a minute. What?
You even did not include ANY vital information WHAT a backer would be supporting and what your product exactly includes and WHY even we should care and bother in this video. This can´t be true! Come on!
What´s the point in releasing a pitchvideo and having to READ anything vital to this project, anyway?
You ever read anything about the intention of a pitchvideo? You ever saw one?

This sucks so much. Realy.
I can´t belive this is a functioning, professional company who has the rights and IP for such a legendary gameline.

While it´s less work or even no work to get the existing fans and players to fund this project you totaly missed the great opportunity to get even much more people (especially NEW gamers) to this new edition from the start.
I don´t know if this will pay off in the long term having mostly the same, old and nostalgic people from the 90´s as your customers.
This single video and campaign could´ve realy introduced a whole new crowd to this game and universe.

Mentioning "new artwork" in the last lines in your dev blog is another point....
Why should i care? Why is this so important to you? What does your final product include exactly? Who´s on board in your team?
Any known artists like Dougall or Laubenstein? Any known authors? What is this all about?
Show some faces or some workingspace at your corporate building - something! A team of people....
Watch some good pitchvideos instead, who did the job right and brought fresh and excited new crowds to finance an existing game in it´s new edition whatsoever.

So, finally i have to say i´m realy dissapointed. This will be the 100th edition of this great game that only the same people will know and play. Nothing´s changed. Wasted opportunity. Sadly.

etherial

Postby etherial » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:59 pm

Mr_Jigsaw

Postby Mr_Jigsaw » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:02 pm

Absolutely.

Mr_Jigsaw

Postby Mr_Jigsaw » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:23 pm

Damn, FASA - look over to the pitchvideo of Shadowrun online and how they got even more buzz with Jordan Weisman supporting them.
Or the White Wolf/Onyx Path crowdfunding campaigns.
ED and your name was a BIG one in the 90s. That´s where your non-existing marketing could´ve picked up.
Labeled as kinda of a "big comeback". No mentioning of a comeback and reboot or anything else in the video. Nothing.
Your video could have run for even five minutes. A cool video gets shared and starts some viral buzz.
Who wants to share this video???
It´s even too boring to be related and connected to previously big names like FASA and Earthdawn.
:yawn:

Flowswithdrek

Postby Flowswithdrek » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:10 pm

Return to “Product Discussion”